Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 25th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Passenger

Default Ocho Rios or Belize

Hi I need some advice. I am getting ready to book a cruise in the next two days and I would like to know which of the ports are better Ocho Rios or Belize? I have heard alot of negative views of Ocho Rios and that Belize is very dirty also. I would like any input you can give. Thank You

Valerie
Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2004, 05:34 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Cassie
Default Re: Ocho Rios or Belize

BELIZE! IN my opinion. I hated Ochos Rios. If you go to Belize you should do the Crazy Monkey ride. Its a zip cord through the rainforest!

~Cassie
Old June 26th, 2004, 12:14 AM
on_the_water

If you want to snorkel of go diving, then definately Belize. However there aren't many land tours there that are worth your money. The best land tour is tubing down and underground river through these giant caves. It's really cool. Belize City itself is very dirty. It's a third world country all the way, but you really have no reason at all to go into the city. There's nothing there.

Ocho Rios have become overrun with tourist and i don't recommend it. If you do go there, maybe climb the falls or go on an ATV tour.

I recomend Belize. Good luck.
Old June 29th, 2004, 07:53 AM
nacho

vpford, hi I am a tour guide here in Belize and I can tell you that Belize is a very beautifull country. Now it depends on what you want to do and see here in Belize. But there are lots of different things you can do and since Belize has only recently become one of the main tourist attraction that should speak for itself. Belize is perfectly safe for you to walk around downtown because whenever cruise ships come to Belize City we always have extra police and tourism police patrol the areas that you walk. And i strongly recommend that you go downtown where the shopping is much cheaper than at the docks. Well I hope this information has been a help for you but if you need more info please feel free to contact me at kip2299@yahoo.com thanks, Nacho
Old June 30th, 2004, 12:01 AM
Beginner

I have been to both and can tell you that both are beautiful in their own way. In Ocho Rios went to the falls and loved that. Truely a beautiful site, and the bus/taxi ride there is something to remember as well. Belize is a beautiful country as well. We did a ride up the river and the Mayan ruins site. We had the opportunity to sit and talk with a few of the local people. Everyone was very nice, helpful and friendly. Belize is a little more "untouched" than Ocho Rios which I think adds to its beauty. You can't go wrong with either one - have a good time.
Old June 30th, 2004, 05:39 AM
grin

Just returned from Western Caribbean cruise 3 days ago, on the Mariner. While in Ocho Rios, we went on a tour with Peat Taylor. I can't say enough about this wonderful day!
The driver was fun, informational and courteous... no problem, mon!
The falls were awesome! Going with peat we were at the Falls before the masses from the ship... Great! With water shoes, the climb is a little tricky but not bad, and well worth it!
You WILL get wet! Don't take anything on the climb that you don't want to get wet!
After the falls, the driver took us driving around the area, and all the while pointed out things of interest, then took us back to the ship for lunch, then downtown and finally to Margaritaville, all for only $30 pp. Well worth it. We were never worried about security, it was a nice wonderful day. Check out Peat Taylor!!
I have never been to Belize, though.
Old June 30th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Passenger

Thank you for all the information. I did book my cruise and on what I have read I decided to do Explorer of the Seas to Belize. I appreciate the info. Thank you again.