Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 27th, 2004, 09:23 AM
Marina

Default Belize ~ Cave Tubing Questions

Hi all. We went to Belize last year on the Paradise & did snorkeling, so this year we were thinking of doing something different.

We will be in Belize in mid-July on Royal Carribbean's Explorer of the Seas. They have a cave tubing & jungle walk excursion for 96.00 per person. I had a few questions about this excursion.

On the ship's excursion, is it really an air-conditioned coach? Also how long is the ride? (They have an hour, which seems long) Is it a bumply road and like driving up a mountain?

Also, how long do you walk for? Are bug bites a problem?

What is the water like in the cave? Muddy?

Sorry to have so many questions, when my husband read the description, he sounded iffy about this excursion, some more info would help me a lot!

Thanks so much,
Marina

6/03 - Celebrity Horizon ~ Bermuda
7/03 - Carnival Paradise ~ West. Carrib.
7/04 - Disney Wonder ~ Bahamas
7/04 - RCCL Explorer of the Seas ~ West. Carrib.
8/04 - NCL Pride of Aloha ~ Hawaii
2/05 - Golden Princess ~ Southern. Carrib.
Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2004, 07:58 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: Belize ~ Cave Tubing Questions

Marina

I did just this excursion in April with X-Stream. They were $60/pp and for an extra $5 we had a delicious chicken barbeque lunch. The ride to park where the river and caves are is about an hour. We were in an airconditioned van. The ship's tour went in big coach buses. The main roads were very smooth but the road into the park is very bumpy. The walk is about 45 minutes and you have to carry your inner tube. We used bug spray so we didn't have any problems with bugs. The river was clear, not muddy at all. As it was April the water was a little low so we had to do some paddling. Our whole family enjoyed the trip. If you have any other questions please feel free to email me.

Darcy

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old June 29th, 2004, 07:44 AM
nacho

Hi Marina, I am a tour guide here in Belize and I could tell you that the ride is a bit bumpy once you reach the turn off to the caves. The big coaches are usually A/C but on the way sometimes the a/c goes out. So it depends. Now the cost of the tour on the coaches are US$96.00/person but if you tried an independent guide it would cost a lot less. As for the bugs all you need is bug spray. The water is usually crystal clear.
Well i hope this information helps you but if you need more info please feel free to contact me at kip2299@yahoo.com, Nacho
Old July 4th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Glen Arm Mom

Hello just got back from our cruise and we did the cave thing thru the ship. My most important advise is to book thru the ship because you tender in Belize. All the poeple that booked thru private tours missed their trip because it was rough seas and the tender were having some problems. If you book with the ship you are first in line to get off the ship. Belize port is very poor and not much to see. The bus had AC and the ride was about 1 hour. The last 20 min. was on a bumpy dirt road. It was not to bumpy. They parked to bus and you walked a very steep incline for about 5 min. You then got your tube and life vest and flashlight. They have a place to lock up your things you do not need on the ride. You walk about 40 min. This is a nice walk in the shade and it was not to buggy when we were there. You have two way to get into the water- Just from about 15 feet up into the water or they help you with a rope walk backwards into your tube. The water was clear and a little cool. Not to bad after the walk. The caves were nice. You were in the water for about 40 min. The water leel was low so we had to paddle. At the end you had a very nice lunch and got on the bus to come back to the ship. I am 50 years old and in ok shape and it was not a strain on me. My 2 teenage daughter were with me and they had a ok time. I would not do this again because I felt like a group of army ants going to the caves. Nothing was pointed out for us to see we just walked in line to the caves. Because there were so many of us we got mixed up with other tours and a few families got seperated and that was upsetting. We were late coming back to the ship but because we were on a tour from the ship they waited. One bus broke down and we left about 20 people in Beleze.
We did not have time to shop in port. It would have been nice just to look around. If you have any other question just let me know. We had a great cruise vacation and would go again. This time I might just go to port and walk around then back to the ship.