Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 29th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Passenger

Default St Lucia donations

This is very delayed, but I just got the email today - probably to late for moai, but maybe someone else who is interested in taking in-kind donations to St. Lucia will find this contact useful. Let me cut and paste the part that would help any of you heading out there and thinking about taking donations:

<< I am very happy for this opportunity to tell you about our Holy Family Children's Home.

This Home was established in 1997 as a temporary home for children who are orphaned, abandoned, abused, neglected, or for some other grave reason need to be removed from their present environment, while plans are being made for their long term care. It is the only formal Home of its kind in St. Lucia.

The Home is run by a Board, and Archbishop Kelvin Felix is its Chairman. Funds for running the Home are obtained from donations in cash and kind from the general public, fund-raising ventures both at home and abroad (through friends), sponships/part sponsorships, a small government subvention and a few covenants.

The Home provides everything for the children just as normal parents would. At present there are 20 children in the Home between the ages of 3 and 13 years, and there is one girl of 15 years who now lives with a family but the Home supplies all her major needs.

Thge children in the HFCH can be adopted or placed in foster homes, but individuals are veryslow to come forward to help in this way because many who would love to do so are financially unable.

We also have two small projects which bring in a few pennies. They are 1) a thrift shop in which we sell used and inexpensive items such as used clothing, towels, sheets, pillow cases, housewares - toothbrushes, erasers, pencils, pencil cases, etc. These and similar items sell very quickly; 2) a vegetable garden which provides our kitchen with vegetables, and occasionally we can sell some excess produce.

I would love to hear from you as to what sort of assistance you are able to offer and if you do so through an organization to learn about it.

Thank you again for an opportunity to speak about the Holy Family Children's Home in St. Lucia and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sr. Dorothea Weekes, O.P.
Administrator
The Holy Family Children's Home
St. Lucia

My telephone no. is 758-459-0110 or 758-452-1447
Fax: 758-451-7615
e.mail: domsis@candw.lc
Sponsored Links