Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 5th, 2004, 07:30 AM
Admiral

Default What is the name of the beach in St. Maarten next to the air

And how much for a cab ride to that beach? And on Rccl are thier and shore exscrions to that beach? My boyfriend just LOVES to watch airplanes come in! Thanks Susie
Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2004, 08:42 AM
cruisinfirst

Default Re: What is the name of the beach in St. Maarten next to the

I think the name of the beach is Maho that is next to the airport. Not sure about any type of organized shore excursions that include this but the St Maarten Taxi Services has a website www.sxmtaxi.com/rate.htm that has all their rates form cruise harbour to beaches including Maho. Taxi for 2 people is $16 to Maho.

We will be in port there in October and planning to take a taxi to a couple different locations.
Old July 6th, 2004, 04:29 PM
First Mate

We visited Maho Beach in March 2003 on a cruise and thoroughly enjoyed it. We did the bus system that cost about $1.50 each (each way) and our friends did the taxi for $16 one-way.
It is definitely a cool way to spend an afternoon. Make sure you look at what inbound flights will arrive - we saw Air France from CDG, Continental, American, and others - most come in after noon. Sunset Beach Bar has some great pics, and reasonable prices (and shade too!). www.sunsetbeachbar.com It's also a great area to take pictures from.
Old July 7th, 2004, 10:34 PM
Passenger

I don't know the name of the beach but we had a 4 hour (airport) layover there last August. I thought it would be cool to see airplanes come in - and it was but we didn't see big ones. Better yet, when the big ones take off! Stand right behind the plane that is taking off. The jet blast is awesome. I expected to smell fumes but did not.

The beach bar there is nice. Walk toward the back. There are great photo opportunities. We have about 10 pictures from that area. Let me know if you're interested in seeing them. Check out this website - lots of pictures of that beach.

http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...nds%20Antilles

This beach was shown in Life Magazine (Feb 1999 issue). If you order the back issue it won't be in there. Apparently there there's a difference between subscription issues and newsstand issues. I talked the local library into swapping issues with me. Anyway, it shows an awesome picture of an Air France jet coming in for a landing.

Check it out, for sure

Lisa