Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 12th, 2004, 12:01 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Doreen
Default The best shopping???

Can anyone tell me out of the 3 places we're stopping at...Cozumel~Grand Cayman~Ocho Rios...which one is the best shopping for jewelry...I was hoping my hubby could find a great deal/steal on a anniversary band...Also will be looking for the basic souveniors and such...Thanks

Triumph 7-24-04
Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to csk103
Default Re: The best shopping???

hi, the best shopping is a both Grand Cayman and Cozumel. I was just at both places and got great deals on jewelry. If i had to pick the best place..it would be cozumel. lots of jewelry places on the main drag there. Hope this helps
Old July 12th, 2004, 05:00 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: The best shopping???

Can you give me an idea on prices...like I said I am hoping I can convince the hubby to get me my anniversary ring here and I know he doesn't want to spend a ton...I bought him his anniversary band and will be presenting it to him on the ship...somehow special...I'm pretty sure I didn't get one...cuz I got a new kitchen and this cruise...but I still want my ring...20 yrs.I think I deserve it. Just curious on prices or maybe there's a site or something...Thanks again.

Triumph 7-24-04
Old July 12th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Passenger

Cozumel is good for jewerly. Diamonds International is a very nice store and clerks are helpful, but will leave you alone if you ask them too. .75 ct 3 stone diamond in 14k gold very good color and clarity - 1100. We felt that Ocho Rios was a tourist trap - Dunns River Falls the worst for tourist traps.

Have fun

Paradise - 2000
Maasdam 2002
Imagination - 2003
Maasdam - 11/2004
Old July 14th, 2004, 08:41 AM
Admiral

Actually you might do better on the ship, watch for the daily specials and the end of the cruise clearance sales. Cozumel would be the better choice- you can get good deals on sterling silver and loose gemstones in Cozumel, be vigliant about the cut and clarity of your ring, you can find deals on "flawed diamonds" - it might not be obvious, but if you put it next to your original diamond, you would definately notice the difference in brillance and clarity. Grand Caymen - very pricey for jewelry. Nothing in Jamaica. Unfortunately none of your ports are great duty-free shopping ports.Have a general idea of what a comparable ring would cost at home and go from there. Stick with a reputable jewlery, one that the cruise ship recommends, there are usually guarantees attached to these stores. On Cozumel they have people on the street that will try to lure you into a particular store, don't even acknowledge these people, if you do, you are showing interest, and you are a gonner!
Old July 14th, 2004, 08:59 AM
ginamarie

I'm doing my first Western Caribbean cruise in November, but I've been doing some research on the ports, and it seems like Cozumel may be your best bet. Grand Cayman is known for more "high end" (read "expensive") shopping. I'm hoping to fund an anniversary gift whole on vacation as well, and I'll be looking in Cozumel.
Old July 14th, 2004, 02:05 PM
First Mate

Are there any sites that you can see some of the items or is it all just walking?

Triumph 7-24-04
Old July 15th, 2004, 08:05 AM
Duke-

Hi Fellow Cruise Mates
Doreen, the Best deals for YOUR ring will be in Cozumel ( very good $ on jewerly)
Just a thought : Your ship's shopping guide would be an great source for information too.
Have a Wonderful Shopping Hoilday

Duke

Ps. Post when you get back
Old July 15th, 2004, 02:56 PM
First Mate

Duke...does this shopping guide pertain to the location...Cozumel? What is it like a directory and directions and such?

Triumph 7-24-04