Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 12th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Passenger

Default HELP with climbing Dunn's Falls on your own

Has anyone just taken a Taxi or bus to the falls, climbed them on their own, and went back to the ship? Experiences please.
Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2004, 02:52 PM
Jo Glenn

Default Re: HELP with climbing Dunn's Falls on your own

You can get there on your own, but they have men to help you walk the falls. Safety reasons of course. I almost fell one time and I am so thank ful that I was caught just in time.
Old July 12th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Beginner

You can go to the Falls on your own and there is no safety requirement to use a guide. They're available if you need or want them (ie; maybe to take pictures of you group) but we've never used them on our three trips to the Falls.

The Falls aren't hard at all to traverse if your in reasonable health and shape.

Old July 13th, 2004, 07:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

If you are traveling with small kids I was told to definitely use a guide. We are going on our honeymoon so I am sure that my new husband will want to be all macho and not use a guide hehe. I want to use one for the pictures and hopefully some insight on what we are seeing on the way up. We booked a tour thru Peat Taylor. It is $30 and he takes you to the Falls, a beach and shopping it's about a 4 hour excursion. I am not sure if the guy driving us there is also going to go up with us or not. We will see!

Karen
Star Princess
Old July 14th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Admiral

great choice KarenB. Peat is great. Getting back to Caren's question, yes you can take a cab on your own to the falls, just make sure that the cab you get is a bonded, licensed cab, they are clearly marked, there are lots of gypsy cab drivers in Jamacia who will literally "take you for a ride". Negotiate your round-trip fare and return time in advance at the pier, that way you will have a guaranteed ride back to the ship. You can climb the falls on your own, you don't have to be a part of the climbing chain if you don't want to, just get in line.
Old July 14th, 2004, 01:38 PM
browezilla

I've done it both ways; a guide is not required. Note: Peat Taylor is great, but he doesn't provide the guide at the falls.

The falls aren't trivial, so if you are a bit concerned a few dollars for a guide may be worth it. It is definitely "do-able" on your own though if you have good balance, a keen eye, and are a bit in shape. On the trip where we had a guide, one of the athletic men in our group fell on some slippery rocks and had a horrible bruise from just below his shoulder blade to the top of his hip. Another athletic friend of my slipped and bent his finger back 90 degrees when he slipped in a hole. The take home from this is, either way you need to be careful! Interestingly enough, of the 20+ people that I know that have climbed it, no woman has been hurt. Guess they're a bit more cautious than us gungho men :-)
Old July 19th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well, I unfortunately, am one of the few women that got hurt climbing the falls. We had a guide and were fortunate enough to be in a small group - only 7 of us. I climbed the falls just fine - on the more difficult right side of the falls as well. It was after we reached the top and I let my guard down - I slipped on the REALLY, REALLY, slippery rocks at the top in the not so fast moving water. I had a bruise from my hip down to my knee - pretty sore too! Moral of the story - be very, very careful from the moment you start up the falls until you are back on dry land.
Old July 21st, 2004, 01:50 PM
Yeoman

We climbed it and loved it, we took a cab on our own, then paid the guide to take us up( and about 15 others) .
Would I do it on my own,? Yes, I'd just follow a group. Wear good water shoes, NOT sandals.
Old July 21st, 2004, 09:21 PM
browezilla

If you go on your own, the inside tip is to exit the park via the entrance. That way you avoid the straw market which can be a bit over zealous.