Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 12th, 2004, 10:10 PM
Hoosier Girl

Default Barbados

Has anyone been to Barbados? What did you do there? Do you know what ships sail there? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2004, 11:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Plano97
Default Re: Barbados

The Carnival Destiny, the RCL Adventure of the Seas, and Pricess' Golden Princess make stop in Barbados.
Old July 13th, 2004, 10:39 AM
GoatPro

Default Re: Re: Barbados

Celebrity Summit stops in Barbados as well on their 10 day cruise.
Old July 13th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Passenger

we went on the Serenade o the Seas. I LOVED Barbados. We did some out of control cave adventure thing. it wasnt harrison's cave exactly. it was like to the side of it. first we hiked through the gulley system and then we lowered down into the caves and went crawling around. it was wild. not for the faint at heart or any way physically challenged. our guides were awesome too!!
it was an excurision we booked through RCCL.
Old July 13th, 2004, 06:55 PM
hcat

We were there on our Summit cruise. Barbados was a real nice surprise. We took a tour that included several stops--Sunbury Plantation, a church with a great view & lots of History & also the Gun Hill Signal station--a great spot with great views. The countryside is just so beautfiul with fields of sugar cane and other crops--so lush. & we did get to pass through several towns along the way. WE did not get to any beaches or back to the main town for shopping but would definitely say it is a worthwhile port & hope to return some day on a cruise or just on vacation. The local people we did meet were so lovely & friendly.
Old July 15th, 2004, 07:59 PM
cricket55

I have been to Barbados twice and was not crazy about it either time. Strangely, many people rave about it but we did not care for it. The first visit, we just thought we had bad luck but it wasn't much better the 2nd time around. First visit, we were absolutely bombarded by taxi drivers at the pier and especially in Bridgetown, pushing us to take their tours. We literally could not take 10 steps before we were stopped and hassled again. One taxi driver promised a tour that included quite a few locations and taking us back to the ship, for a set price. We finally accepted, more to get the heck out of Bridgetown than real interest in the tour. He did not live up to his end of the bargain and took us back to the ship after a very quick boring tour. Also, his "friendly" nature somehow disappeared as soon as we started the tour. In Bridgetown, my husband took a picture of a town square and got told off royally by a lady for taking a picture of somebody without asking....we did not specifically take anyones picture, just the square. The beach that another taxi driver took us to was nothing great either, not nearly as nice as those on most other islands we have been to. To the islands credit, we did have a great taxi driver that afternoon who was appalled at the treatment we received by the other driver that morning, and made up for it by taking us to an old church for free, no extra charge. He was great and the church was beautiful.

I wouldn't choose an itinerary just to go to this island....in my opinion St. Thomas, St. Maarten and Aruba have been our favourites. Hope this helps.
Old July 16th, 2004, 09:46 AM
Passenger

I've been to Barbados twice (a Crystal cruise that ended in Barbados and I stayed an extra three days) and a HAL one-day stop this year. Barbados is one of the more populated and developed islands in the Caribbean. People tend to either love it or hate it. I was somewhere in the middle. It wasn't my favourite island, but I did find it interesting and am glad that I explored it.

If you like snorkelling, take a catamaran excursion. The snorkelling with the turtles is amazing. They come so close to you, they almost rub against you. The water in Barbados is very clear and very warm and a joy to swim in.

If you are more adventurous, take a tour of the islands by "jeep safari". It is a lot of fun. The four-wheel jeeps go into places where cars can't go (i.e. in the middle of the sugar cane). The ride is a bit bumpy but the free-flowing rum punch helps. They also take you to the Atlantic side of Barbados, which is amazing. The ocean is too rough to swim in, but the scenery is breathtaking. If you don't take a tour, get a few people together and take a taxi there. You will love the scenery.

As for shopping, I found Barbados to be a bit expensive. However, if you like things that are "British", you will be able to pick up some great stuff in Bridgetown. Bridgetown is a very hot and noisy town, but I enjoyed browsing throught the streets. You have to have an open mind and accept the fact that you are in a "foreign" country and the culture is different. I found the locals (they are called Bajans) very friendly and helpful. Also, when people honk at you on the street, they are just being friendly. It's a local greeting so don't be insulted.

If you are interested in seeing Barbados, don't skip it just because some people didn't like it. See it at least once and make up your own mind.
Old July 17th, 2004, 01:29 PM
First Mate

We were in Barbardos earlier this year on the Legend, and we're going back this fall on the Destiny. We shopped at the port shops, then caught a taxi for a tour of the island. Our tour guide was only so-so, but this is a beautiful island. At the conclusion of the tour, we asked him to drop us off at the Boatyard.

The Boatyard is such a happening place. We arrived after 3 in the afternoon, and the crowd was already clearing out. We used their facilities to change into our beach wear. Our entrance fee got us chairs, umbrellas, and a couple of drinks. Again jet skis and parasailing was available, and there was a trampoline and rope swing for play out in the water.

We were approached by several native vendors, and I’m a sucker for those folks. Ended up buying some jewelry and a really cool small painting! The drinks were strong. We had our very first ever fried flying fish – wow, great stuff. Someone said happy hour was starting in the bar, so the crowds starting moving up to the bars. We were the last to leave the beach after we enjoyed a wonderful sunset.

Taxi drivers were wondering up and down the beach looking for fares, and we asked each of them where the best restaurant was on the beach. They all recommended Lobster Alive that was in walking distance down the beach. So, we gathered our stuff to go there. It was a small hut right on the beach, with tablecloths and candlelight, soft music and ambience.

Here’s how their menu describes the “Main Event (Live from the Tank)”: “Southern Caribbean lobsters are mostly big and well meated. Our prices are by weight per serving as in our suggestions below. Servings are usually one half of a split lobster. Par-boiled in seawater, to order, then finished in the shell on the barbeque with heaps of garlic butter!! Variations at your request.” The small serving was $70 and the extra large serving was $100.

The lobster served at Lobster Alive was fabulous, and I was so happy to enjoy it. Lots of cruise ship passengers were there with us, and we were all taking pictures for one another. The servers in the restaurant were delightful and personable as well. When we were ready to leave, they had a taxi driver right outside to return us to our ship. We were so tired, we went straight to bed, with wonderful dreams and memories of our day in Barbados!

We are really looking forward to visiting again in October. This time, we plan to take a cab to Crane Beach, have lunch there, then catch a cab back to the Boatyard, with dinner again at Lobster Alive.

RCL x5: Majesty of the Seas, Sovereign of the Seas, Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas

Celebrity x1: Century

Princess x3: Caribbean Princess x3, Dawn Princess

NCL x1: NCL Spirit
Old July 21st, 2004, 07:43 PM
traveller20

We went on the Jolly Roger Pirate Party Boat 3 years ago. It was a lot of fun. The crew was very friendly and made sure everyone had a good time. Lots of rum punch and fruit punch available.

We also walked around town in Barbados, but I found the locals to be quite pushy and not very friendly.

We are going on the Jolly Roger again in September.

Hope this helps!
Lisa