Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 18th, 2004, 04:45 PM
bruss

Default San Juan

I have been on 5 cruises but never to San Juan. Does anyone suggest doing or seeing any certain thing. We have done the shopping thing and are over it all ports seen to have the same choices unless you get off the beaten path.
Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2004, 06:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: San Juan

Shop, Shop Shop!

Or go to see the old fort - that was a fun tour.
Old July 18th, 2004, 07:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Bruss,
You can easily take a walk around Old San Juan and head up to El Morro, really worth seeing, there is also a trolley that goes there if you can find that.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 18th, 2004, 07:50 PM
Admiral

We love having dinner at Restaurant Baru. This is a fantastic tapas restaurant with great service, wonderfully unusual food, and an up-beat but beautiful atmosphere.
This restaurant is a real find if you're a foodie.
Old July 18th, 2004, 10:47 PM
First Mate

We went to both forts, the Bacardi Rum factory, and shopping. We also went to the restaurant/bar where the Pina Colada was invented -- gives us bragging rights.

Okay, I want to know more about the Restaurant Baru. We love to try out new restaurants every where we go, price doesn't matter. With that said, is it expensive, is it dress-up, do we need reservations?

We're in San Juan one night pre-cruise and on night post-cruise, so we have time to try out some of the local restaurants, and we're seeking the best of the best!

Happy cruising!

RCL x5: Majesty of the Seas, Sovereign of the Seas, Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas

Celebrity x1: Century

Princess x3: Caribbean Princess x3, Dawn Princess

NCL x1: NCL Spirit
Old July 19th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Admiral

wander around Old San Juan, walk around El Morro Fort, take a tour up into the rainforest, hit the beach.
Old July 19th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: San Juan

Dress st Restaurante Baru is fairly casual but not beach funky or such. I think guys should wear dockers and a nice shirt, if that gives you the mood. Shorts are kind of iffy.

The price is really up to you because you order many small plates of different things that sound interesting to you and your table mates. Food is shared so that everyone gets to try it all.

Everything on the menu was fantastic. Our favorites, if we have to choose, were the scallops in a saffron cream sauce and the plantain banana chips with most unusual dipping sauces.

We usually end up spending about $90 with a fairly nice bottle of wine included in the price. I would call the pricing moderate, but I guess that depends on you, your appetite, and the pricing structures you're used to in your town.

We've sent several sets of friends there and everyone has raved about this restaurant. It's right in old town and not a long walk from most of the cruise ship terminals.

We have always had reservations but I think most nights they are probably not necessary.

We're on the Constellation for Thanksgiving and Baru will be our first stop in old San Juan. I hope this helps.
Old July 19th, 2004, 07:37 PM
bruss

Thanks alot guys your the best
Old July 19th, 2004, 10:07 PM
First Mate

Thanks so much, Chuck. Sounds like something we would very much enjoy. It's now on my list! I owe you one, if we ever meet anywhere in the world -- we're in central Arkansas.

RCL x5: Majesty of the Seas, Sovereign of the Seas, Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas

Celebrity x1: Century

Princess x3: Caribbean Princess x3, Dawn Princess

NCL x1: NCL Spirit