CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean & Panama Canal (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/caribbean-panama-canal/)
-   -   Aruba (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/caribbean-panama-canal/251731-aruba.html)

DianeT July 19th, 2004 07:52 PM

Aruba

We are doing a Panama Canal cruise and one of the stops is Aruba. Haven't been there in many, many years. Does anyone know how the shopping is there? Is it comparable to St. Thomas or St. Maarten for cameras, electronics, jewelry and perfume?

debshomespun July 20th, 2004 07:41 AM

Re: Aruba

We were in Aruba April, 03, and I felt the jewelry was competitively priced. I got a diamond slide for my omega, and I am very pleased with it. The price was right, I flet and I have not had any problems with it. They have many jewelry stores to choose from. Not sure about the other shopping. Aruba is my most favorite island, and I can't wait to go back!

Have a wonderful cruise!

PapaBill July 20th, 2004 08:57 AM

My wife prefers the shopping in Aruba to both St Thomas ans St Martin. Finds to shops a bit nicer, prices competitive and overall experience a bit nicer. There are three major shopping "malls" within walking distance and dozens of shops on the main streets in between and behind the main street.
Your best bet is to know what you are buying and what you would pay for it in the states.
For jewelry, always ask for a better price, the same for electronics.

traveller99 July 20th, 2004 10:50 PM

My DW does the Coach store in Aruba. The prices are very good, there.

Kelly0504 July 21st, 2004 11:04 PM

Aruba is so beautiful! I was there in May and I'm still talking about it. Definately do some shopping, but make sure you also visit the beautiful beach while you are there. I actually did the majority of my shopping while in Aruba. I agree with the idea that the shopes in Aruba were of higher quality. There were a number of very nice shops there and the prices were very reasonible. I also found it very interesting that many of the people in Aruba were from many different countries. My mom and I shopped at 2 very nice stores and actually met the owner which was from Costa Rica. Enjoy Aruba, IT IS SO BEAUTIFUL!!!

Shannan July 23rd, 2004 08:33 AM

This may be a silly question, but do the shops on the island accept Visa/Mastercards? I don't want to carry that much cash with me. One of the islands I went to in the past, had merchant carts downtown and they only took cash.
Thanks!
Shannan

CSY August 3rd, 2004 11:02 PM

Re: Re: Aruba

yes, the stores do take AmEx, Mastercard, Visa - wonderful people, really interesting shops - go to Holiday Inn in Palm Beach for a cute store with lots of cute purses, clothes really good prices; in town, there is a store on the same side of the street as the supermarket D/T that has good prices. Some stores in the mall area can be quite pricey. We've been there 17 yrs. in a row so if you have questions, e-mail me back.
Carol, Jensen Beach, FL