Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 19th, 2004, 07:41 PM
bruss

Default what beach in st. thomas?

We were wondering what beach you all recommend. Magens, Coki or Saphire. Yall have been so great on this message board. Very helpfull. I am trying to please a group of 12 ages 6-55 I am booking a tour with Godfrey.
Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2004, 07:22 AM
First Mate

Default Re: what beach in st. thomas?

We had a group of 15 with Godfrey, ages ranging from 26-69. We chose Sapphire for three reasons:
1) no additional fee to enter (Magen's is $4 each)
2) good shaded areas for my grandparents to sit under with tables/chairs
3) resort facilities

My husband and I were not impressed with the snorkeling, but our previous vacation to the area had been a week on St John ... so a high standard had been previously set. However, Sapphire had snorkeling, great view of St John (we had just married on St John that morning), and a place to rent snorkel equipment and purchase food/drinks.

I would venture to say that Magen's would be the most crowded, especially depending on the number of ships in port that day.

I have yet to go to Coki, so I cannot share any experiences there.

Definitely a good choice for going with Godfrey!
Old July 20th, 2004, 07:52 AM
Admiral

Maegens Bay is certainly beautiful. With ships in town it can get a bit crowded, has an entry fee and food and drink can be expensive at the concession. No real snorkelling to speak of. Still a beautiful beach.
Saphire is well described above.
Coki is located next to the paid attraction called Coral World. There are full facilities available for food and bathrooms. Several vendors compete for food and drink and even offer beachside service. There is a vendor that does snorkellinfg and scuba (and a dive shop). Lots of fish can be seen on the near (CoralWorld) end of the beach and there is some nice coral aff the beach on the far side. Coki is a family beach attracting locals, tourists and cruise passengers. No admission charges.
Old July 20th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Admiral

You really don't need to use a tour on St. Thomas if all you want to do is hit the beach, there are plenty of vans for hire right at the pier. I agree that if you want to stay on St. Thomas then Sapphire or Coki would be your best bets. Coki Beach is right next door to Coral World, a nice attraction, good snorkeling here. I don't know if there is snorkeling on Sapphire. We do our beach and snorkeling over on St. John Island.
Old July 20th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

We did Godfrey's tour last month. He was exceptional! We were totally impressed by his professionalism and his wealth of information. Well worth the measly 20 bucks/person, and well deserving of a tip!

We chose Maegan's which was beautiful. Three dollar entry fee per person, not four. Drinks on the beach were very weak and watered down tasting. The beach itself was nearly empty. Our ship was the only one in port that day!

If you choose Maegans ask Godfrey to stop at St Thomas Dairy on the way in or out of Maegan's. They make amazing alcoholic milkshakes!!! YUMMY!! We thought it was the best milkshake we've ever had! I would never have known about the local spot if it weren't for these boards!
Old July 20th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Tauruschick

I've only been to Magens and I loved it.

Adventure of the Seas 2/05
Serenade of the Seas 2/06
Monarch of the Seas 7/06
Liberty of the Seas 8/07
Majesty of the Seas 5/08
Old July 20th, 2004, 09:31 PM
First Mate

Thanks for the correction, jkmmah. Definitely $3 for Magen's and not $4 as I stated.

bruss -

This link might also give you additional insight:
http://www.vinow.com/stthomas/beaches_stt/beaches.php

It's been almost three years since we spent the day on Magen's on cruise #2, and because it was rainy that day, not many ventured out there. However, when the rain broke, it was awesome having the beach practically to ourselves! However, on cruise #3 (our wedding cruise) there were five ships in port that day, and we saw Magen's from the road on Godfrey's tour. Definitely very packed that day. But because we married on a non-touristy beach that morning of St John, we basically had the beach to ourselves (even with all those ships in port!).
Old July 21st, 2004, 01:47 PM
Yeoman

We did Magens beach in April this year and regretted it. BORING, CROWDED, and you have to haul your own lounge chair to where you want it, so if it is crowded you are hauling it a long way to find a spot. Then you must haul it back as you have a deposit on it.
We would definately go to Sapphire or Coki next time, it's 7 bucks a head by cab, and there is no entrance fee at those beaches.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 11:35 AM
Passenger

We did Coki in April and you would be very impressed with the snorkeling - no matter where else you have been. It is a busy beach (with lots of people from the ships) but you can rent equipment, get food, drinks of any kind, etc. there. We were advised not to waste our money at Coral World so we didn't. You can taxi right there but the Godfrey tour is worth it - took it too.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 05:25 PM
Lynne &Trevor

We have a small group going on the Godfrey tour from our ship-may be more that we don't know about- and have planned on going to Coki Beach because of the variety of things that are there. Lynne

Old July 23rd, 2004, 10:43 PM
First Mate

We did Meagans Bay .Went to the store and bought stuff to make drinks. rented 2 van size taxi's there were about 18 of us. with cab, fee and drinks it came to 10 a person.
The drivers gave us a tour on way back and let us stop and do photos. The view is great.

Destiny,Rhapsody ,Conquest x2
Old July 24th, 2004, 09:53 PM
Passenger

I did sapphire last week and thought it was very nice. I have been to magen's bay in the past and thought sapphire was prettier. My only complaint was that it was a little rocky.