Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 21st, 2004, 02:49 PM
Shannan

Default St John: Trunk Bay vs. Cinnamon Bay?

Hi!

I will be going to St. Thomas in Sept. on the Destiny. I would like to go to St. John and visit either Trunk Bay or Cinnamon Bay. It will be just me and my 6 year old daughter. Can anyone recommend one beach over the other one? Is there a better one for children? Also, I know that they both have concession stands, but can I get an "umbrella" drink at either place? :o)

Also, should I use the Red Hook ferry or the Charlotte Amalie ferry to get to St. John?

Thanks so much for any advice! I appreciate it!! Can't wait!

Shannan

Carnival Spirit 11/01
Carnival Fascination 4/02, 12/03
Carnival Imagination 9/02
NCL Magesty 01/03
Carnival Destiny 9/04
Carnival Liberty in Europe, 8/05
Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2004, 05:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: St John: Trunk Bay vs. Cinnamon Bay?

Hi Shannan,
Here is a link to the ferry schedule:

St. John Ferry Schedule

We've only been to Trunk Bay a few times and if you like to snorkel, its pretty good there, not sure about the other beaches. You can rent snorkel equipment right there on the beach.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 21st, 2004, 05:36 PM
Kelly DeVore

I've only been to Trunk Bay with my kids, and it was great. You take the red hook ferry and then a taxi. They have a concession stand, but I don't remember if they serve alcohol.
Old July 21st, 2004, 09:17 PM
browezilla

Your 6 year old will probably enjoy Trunk better (more people, trail, etc), and you will probably like Cinnamon Bay better (less people, better snorkeling).
Old July 22nd, 2004, 07:22 AM
Shannan

Great! Thanks for your advice and the ferry schedule! :o)
Old July 22nd, 2004, 03:12 PM
jlynd53

The last time we were there we went to both. We spent a few hours at Trunk bay and then headed over to Cinnamon for a few more hours. They both have nice facilities but I didn't see umbrella drinks at either. There is a $4/person entry fee for Trunk and no fee for Cinnamon. I have pictures of both beaches in my Explorer albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/jean_lynd that may help you decide. I think browezilla is correct - you daughter would like Trunk better and you would like Cinnamon. The underwater trail at Trunk would be good for kids and they did have lifeguards on rafts keeping an eye on things because it is a National Park. You can't really go wrong with either one. I hope this helps!
Old July 23rd, 2004, 07:34 AM
Admiral

both are beautiful beaches with wonderful snorkeling. Trunk Bay charges an admission fee, Cinnamon Bay doesn't. Trunk Bay is the final destination for all of the cruise ship beach tours, it can get very very crowded. I have been hearing that their are long lines to get to the snorkel trail and that the snorkel trail has become a bit barren due to overuse.
Cinnamon Bay is bit more rustic than Trunk Bay.- Not nearly as touristy. Its nice and clean with clean facilites and a nice little outdoor grill where you can grab a burger. Cinnamon Bay is actually a campground - there is a paved/shaded walkway-bike path all along the beach with picnic tables.
The best snorkeling at Cinnamon Bay is the at the reef that surrounds a little island out in the bay.
It all depends upon what you are looking for.
I think that you can rent lounge chairs/umbrella's on Trunk Bay - not at Cinnamom Bay - you can rent floats, snorkel gear at both places.
No alcohol served on the beaches - they are part of the National Park system