Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 22nd, 2004, 01:37 PM
Admiral

Default St. Marteen See & Sea

Has anyone ever taken this trip? On the semi-sub, is it a straight down shot to get down into the sub? I was just wondering if it is easy to get in and out of?

08/29/09 - 09/05/09
Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2004, 07:38 PM
Passenger

Default Re: St. Marteen See & Sea

There are about 10 fairly steep stairs to go down to get to the submersed part. Basically, it is a boat with a windowed area about 6 feet below the water line. You board on the upper deck then walk down the stairs to the benched in the submersed part. If someone has problems with stairs, they will also have problems with the boat. St. Maarten does not have the best coral reefs to observe - other islands have nicer areas. But there are plenty of fish and they have a diver feed them so they will come closer to the boat for viewing.

It is an interesting excursion. You get a good tour of the island, a little culture, and a shopping stop in Marigot. After the tour, there is enough time to hit the beach or tour Phillipsburg.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 09:20 PM
Admiral

Thanks for the info. Maybe this is not the cruise for me. I can do steps, but not if it straight down like a ladder. I have bad knees. If it had a railing and was angled down it would be ok, but when they said "submarine" all I could think of was straight down and up like a ladder and I can't do that. Maybe I should just do the tour of St. Marteen. Any other good suggestions?

08/29/09 - 09/05/09
Old July 24th, 2004, 09:11 AM
Passenger

Old July 24th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Bibi Shaw

That is one of the most easiest place to get into. Cruise lines. No visa required. if you are going there my advise is that you write this cab driver his is the best.
His name is Dion, alghodge@hotmail.com
Old July 24th, 2004, 09:50 PM
Passenger

I did this tour last week. We enjoyed it but the stairs were a little steep -- not terrible but if you have a problem it may be to much for you. All in all it was a very good tour.
Old July 25th, 2004, 12:20 PM
hcat

We did this tour. It was OK--but the semi submersible vessel was not as nice as the one we took in Cozumel notr was the lcation that impressive. If you think it'd be a problem try something else. We also found Marigot to be over-rated. Very congested, little time to do anything but shop & the bathrooms at the corner cafe where we went were really primitive....Next trip I'd stay on the Dutch side & enjoy scenery there & the great shops in Phillipsburg.
Old July 25th, 2004, 06:29 PM
Admiral

Thanks everyone

08/29/09 - 09/05/09