Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 2nd, 2004, 05:28 PM
Passenger

Default What would the best cruise/ship for a new cruiser be?

Hi..

We are planning on a cruise this April 2005..

There would be myself, husband, 18 year old daughter, and 14 year old son.. Plus possibly 2 other adults and their 3 year old.

We have never been on a cruise before.. and are trying to find the best cruise for ourselves.. We are very active people, who like the pool, but do other things too.. We would like a room with a balcony etc.

Can someone tell me what cruise line would be the best for us..

we would like to go to the carribean somewhere..

thanks
Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2004, 05:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: What would the best cruise/ship for a new cruiser be?

Hi Sailing Girl,
I'd suggest any of Royal Caribbean's "Voyager" class ships, especially with going with kids/teens. They have tons of activities, parades, ice shows, etc. I don't think you could go wrong with one of these ships, really great for families of all ages.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 3rd, 2004, 09:22 AM
Yeoman

I second that! The camps from what Ive read are really good (even the kids liked them over Disney), and as long as the 3 yr old is potty trained he can use it. There are pools (I believe a few have a pool in the back just for the kids with waterslide), in-line skating, basketball, mini golf, rock climbing wall, ice skating, and tons of other activites. You will need a vacation after being on one of these ships!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old August 3rd, 2004, 10:48 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Tauruschick

RCI Voyager Class

Adventure of the Seas 2/05
Serenade of the Seas 2/06
Monarch of the Seas 7/06
Liberty of the Seas 8/07
Majesty of the Seas 5/08
Old August 3rd, 2004, 04:54 PM
First Mate

I agree with the above responses. We just came back from Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas and had a wonderful time. This was our first cruise and our group ages were from 11 to 80 years old.

Old August 3rd, 2004, 05:55 PM
Passenger

Hi Sailingirl,
For value for money and lots of activities do try Carnival. Lots of teens aboard during the holiday months and young kids also have a great time particulary if you take one of their mega liners such as the Legend or Spiit.

Old August 3rd, 2004, 05:56 PM
Passenger

Hi Sailingirl,
For value for money and lots of activities do try Carnival. Lots of teens aboard during the holiday months and young kids also have a great time particulary if you take one of their mega liners such as the Legend or Spirit.

Old August 4th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Admiral

there are so many things to consider when choosing your cruise. Each line is different from the other it all depends upon what you are looking for in a cruise. I would go to your local travel agent, one who specializes in cruises, sit down with them and just ask questions, get recommendations. I will try to give you a couple of things to think about.
1. do you want a HUGE ship with all that goes with it? rock-climing wall, in-line skating track, ice shows, Mardi-Gras parade, good kids programs - that would be the Voyager Class ships of RCL.
2. If the above isn't quite what you are looking for but you still want a BIG ship with lots to do: mini-golf, basketball, computer arcade/games, volleyball,good kids program, life size chess, checkerboard, outdoor movie theatre ( like a drive-in)- FRESHWATER not saltwater pools that are open 24hrs then choose the Grand Class ships of Princess. Princess is a bit "classier" than RCCL or Carnival -imo - casual/elegant not stuffy or anything like that.
3. Get brochures from the TA - don't feel that you need to book something right away, Take the brochures home, really read and study them.
4. Pick your ports of call that interest you first, then pick your ship.
Old August 6th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

I would think that Princess would be good for your family and friends!! They seemed to have lots to do for all ages!!

Carnival is more of a party ship
RCCL is more for the older crowd
Princess is for all ages!!
Trust me on this, we have sailed all of them and always go back to Princess!!

Best Wishes

Old August 7th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Yeoman

We used to go on Princess until the one time they overbooked a cruise to Australia/New Zealand. All we got was sorry, we dont have room for you. No -we will put you on or upgrade you on the next one, etc. We were also stuck with airline tickets to Australia (which we ended up using anyways and had a much better time touring Oz). Since then weve stuck with RCl and have loved every trip. Weve never had a problem with them. I dont think its for an older crowd at all thanks to the wonderful campsand amenities on board. There are people of all ages on board. I think ultimately it depends on what time of year you travel. During the school year, you will find less kids on all ships, and during holidays, there are more kids than adults sometimes! When we were on Princess I saw more older people than I did on RCI (and this was during the Christmas/New Year holiday). Just my 2 cents!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old August 7th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Joe Reynolds

First Time Cruiser

ADVICE FOR A FIRST TIME CRUISER.

1. Preparation is the key. Get everything done as soon as it occurs. Donít put it off. That is, fill out all forms as soon as possible., including luggage tags. Many lines have online information that can be entered such as passport information and who to notify in case of emergency. When your travel documents come in, be sure and go over them carefully to be sure there are no errors. Donít wait until the last minute to try and correct something.
2. Read as much as you can about ports you will visit. This is not really necessary, but makes the cruise more interesting. It can give you some good hints as to where you should book the ships tours and where to do them on your own. For the Panama Canal the book ďPath Between the SeasĒ by David McCullough is good.
3. It is a good idea to get to the cruise terminal early even though you probably will have to wait. Sometimes they open earlier than advertised. It all depends when the hotel crew clears the ship.
4. Once aboard notify your cabin steward that you want a copy of the daily activities guide for each one of the members in the cabin. Frequently they will only put one in the cabin and then if you want more you have to go to the main desk area to pick up another one. You will probably tip, so make use of the attendant. You will probably be in your cabin before your luggage, so use the time to explore the ship, or have lunch depending on the time you board.
5. Binoculars are nice to have for viewing.
6. CamerasóBring film or plenty of Cards or recording media. You probably can buy more on the trip, but who wants to waste time looking for film or camera parts. Supplies will also probably be more expensive than your local Office Depot.
7. For men- Wallets should have a rubber band around them to carry and in the front pocket. The rubber band helps prevent the wallet from being too easily slipped out of the pocket.
8. Men and womenóleave all jewelry aboard when on tour in port. Pay particular attention to a watch that you wear all the time and donít consider it jewelry. If it is expensive get a cheap one to wear ashore. I am speaking from experience. It is amazing how they can get it off so fast without you knowing it. Like the magician on stage.
9. I like using a fanny pack to carry my cameras and binoculars and water. These are not immune to pickpockets and they have been known to slit the strap and be off with it before you know it. If someone bumps into you practice the instinct to check things quickly. A neck wallet is good. On a cruise ship you donít need to carry your wallet ashore. You can carry a credit card, some money and your ID driverís license along with your ships charge card/room key. You should always have a copy of your passport that stays in your carry on. You could use this ashore in a port that would require your passport number to cash travelers checks. The only reason to carry your passport itself is if you are on your own and you miss the ship. You would need your passport then. If it is stolen, you have your copies in the room to help you get another one or get back through customs.
10. Water aboard ship is good. You can just refill a bottle to carry with you ashore. It is a good idea to carry plenty of water for long hot days on tour.
11. If you are a pool/sun person, it is nice to bring an insulated mug to keep drinks cool while in the sun. Just have the attendant put your drink in your mug. At 17% tip per drink, they can deliver this service.
12. Always check your cruise bulletin every night to see the events for the next day. Plan your next day the night before. By using the cruise news bulletin, you will get more out of your cruise.
13. What is the best room on the ship? Well of course it is the most expensive. Most rooms will be satisfactory. It depends on the age of the ship. All new ships have better sound proofing than the older ones. A room close to the elevator on a new ship is convenient so you donít have to walk so far, but on an older ship, the elevator noise might be bothersome. Most cruise ships have stabilizers that prevent roll. No ship is able to prevent pitch (the forward and backward motion) in high seas. The effect of pitch is minimized by being in the center of the ship (amidships). Any roll that occurs in spite of the stabilizers is felt more in the upper levels of the ship than in the lower cabins.
14. Seasickness- This varies in individuals. The best preventive is the one of course that would have the highest incidence of complications. I am speaking of the Transderm Scope patch usually worn behind the ear and put on 24 hours before starting the cruise. The patch works, but it can also make you sick. It is a drug called scopolamine which was used as a pre-operative medication for surgery at one time. If you get some of this patch stuff on your fingers and rub your eye it will give you a dilated pupil that blurs the vision and may make you nauseated.
The Dramamine pills taken if you get seasick are good. Meclizine or Merazine are two others that are used. Most of the ships give these out if the seas get ruff, but not routinely. You can ask the bartenders for some if you think you need them. Usually the thing to do is take a pill and go and lay down. If you feel bad in an inside cabin, go out on deck and let the air hit you in the face. Find a place amidships and rest there.
With the anti-seasick pills, be careful not to overdose (take too many). Always remember that just because you are aboard a ship, the feelings are not necessarily due to seasickness and there is Professional Medical consultation aboard to help you. (At a fee of course). This is particularly if no one else is seasick. Your regular insurance will not cover this visit to the Ship Hospital.
There are things you put in your ear, there are wrist bands and other remedies that people have used with success. Some wrist bands may have medication on them that is absorbed through the skin, so be careful the medication is not making you worst.
I recommend donít use any medication unless you get seasick. You can use some of the so called natural remedies in a preventive mode if you like. Follow the rule of ďfirst do no harmĒ. I know others that put the Transderm Patch on no matter what and have no problem. They have used it before. Different people react differently to the same medication. Maybe if you think you will need it, it is a good idea to wear it on land and see how it makes you feel before putting it on for a cruise.
15. Formal Dress- A dark suit is acceptable for men and ladies a nice pants suit or cocktail dress. No need to rent the tux men. Now if you plan to take
some pictures, it is a good idea to rent or borrow a tux to wear for the pictures.
I always wear a Tux because I have one. If I didnít I would not rent one, because the only place I wear the tux is on a cruise.
If you have a veranda, donít forget you can have a nice dinner delivered to the cabin. Breakfast is nice on the veranda. It depends on if you want to socialize or not. Personally, I think the one of most entertaining things on a cruise are the people you meet. God has made some many people and they are all different with different ideas and different styles. The show is never the same.
Old August 7th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Joe Reynolds

Old August 8th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Shan

I would have to say the Royal Caribbean Cruise Line ships....especially the "LARGER" ones....Voyager, Explorer, Navigator, Adventurer of the Seas, etc. These ships are nothing less then a "Small City".....they have "Everything".....Not only would you and your wife love it but the kids who absolutely adore this ship.....they probably wouldn't want to go on another ship.....

Have Fun!!
Old August 18th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Beginner

I found Royal Caribbean Voyager is excellent and have lots of activities adults and for kids of all ages. We recently returned from a trip with 12 friends and had a great time on the cruise ship and at the ports. Service is by far the best I have experience.
Old August 18th, 2004, 03:27 PM
venice

I would combine all the information you are receiving here with the counsel of a very good travel agent, combined with your friends co=workers who have cruised before and make your decision based upon input from everyone in your party

that said...I think Royal Caribbean would be perfect ..but then again, there is really no such thing as a bad cruise experience
Old September 8th, 2004, 05:11 PM
cotegirlsmom

We went on our first cruise is July with our three daughters 12, 16, 18, on RCCL Explorer of the Seas. I agree, the Voyager class is probably the way to go. It was our best vacation ever, and the more I hear about Carnival and what I saw of the other ships in port, I'm so glad we chose RC. We've already booked another cruise for next summer on Mariner of the Seas. It's an identical ship, just newer. I don't think I can do anything less now. Have fun!!
Old September 9th, 2004, 09:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

Another vote for the Voyager. Just came back and had a blast. Already booked again for next year.

Voyager of the Seas 7/05
Voyager of the Seas 8/04