Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Admiral

Default Cozumel-Discover Scuba?

Anybody done Discover Scuba tours in Cozumel? We are seriously
thinking of trying it out as we really love snorkeling but want to
go deeper! Any suggestions on good dive shops in Cozumel that offer
this type of tour? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2004, 09:24 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Cozumel-Discover Scuba?

In Cozumel last Thanksgiving while on a cruise, we went with Eagle Ray Divers and highly recommend them.

www.eagleraydivers.com

Chellie (the wife) is from Arkansas and very friendly. We were first-timers, and Antonio (her husband) was spectacular - especially when calming my nerves when I almost chickened out. There were other divers on our boat with certifications who went with a different guide. The marina could scare you away if you like lavish stuff - it is a working marina. However, everything seemed just fine including the SCUBA gear. Hubby and I were the only two "Discover SCUBA" participants that morning, and you go to a max of 40 feet. We stayed under about 55 minutes on a one-tank dive.

I highly recommend Eagle Ray Divers. Definitely two thumbs up!!!
Old August 7th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Cozumel-Discover Scuba?

Thanks for the help!

I do have one question...I see you need to do a medical release form before you go. Did you have to do this and how do you go about that? Do you take it to your medical doctor and have them fill it out?

Thanks again!

Old August 8th, 2004, 08:44 AM
Yeoman

To cover yourself you may want to get a note from your doctor clearing you for diving. You will have to sign a waiver at any dive shop. One warning about diving in Cozumel-many of the dive sites have stiff currents and you will be doing what is called drift diving. Basically the boat will drop you off, your guide will have a flag to pull along and you ride the current along the reef. You cant really stop to look at something. At the end of the dive the boat will pick you up. Be sure to get all the safety information and dont be afraid to ask questions, especially if you dont understand them. Some dive operators scare the crap out of me (and Im an Instructor who has dove all over the world) with the lack of information they give the divers, especially newbies. You may want to avoid seeing the new movie Open Water too before you go (the chances of something like that happening with a good operator are slim though)!

If you think this is a sport youd be interested in, if there are dive shops in your area, and if you have some time before your trip, consider taking an open water course now. There are so many options available now-independant study of the book at home, then do the pool work with the shop, and do your check-out dives while on vacation, do it all at the dive shop at home or on vacation, etc.

Be sure to check out the operators you consider using in Cozumel. There should be a program through the ship, and this will probably be safer than just walking in off the street. Have a great time and welcome to the world of scuba!!! It beats the heck out of snorkeling!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old August 8th, 2004, 03:13 PM
First Mate

We didn't have to have a medical release. I wonder if that is something new?

In today's legal society, though, I can certainly see why they might need one. Kinda like the "swim with dolphins" - not available for pregnant women (at least in Nassau). Don't have to have a note that you're not pregnant - just better make sure you don't look like you are.
Old August 8th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Admiral

We have decided we're going to do the "royal swim with the dolphins" in Chankannab Park instead while in Cozumel.

However we are thinking we can do the discover scuba while in Grand Cayman.
Our local dive shop does offer diving classes and I'm going to inquire about becoming certified before we go. Since we don't cruise til Feb we should have plenty of time to practice and get certified. They do it here at the UNF college pools. Sounds really cool!

Old August 8th, 2004, 03:47 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M

You don't need to be certified to do the Discover Scuba.

However, if you do get certified before your cruise there are other tours that require certification that you could instead of the Discover Scuba.

PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old August 8th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Admiral

I know you don't have to be certified to do the Discover Scuba tour. But I was saying if we decide (we're going to check on getting certified next week at the Dive shop here) to become certified BEFORE we cruise then we can do a much better dive then just the Discover Scuba ones.....

Old August 9th, 2004, 08:58 AM
Yeoman

Helen- Good for you! You will love it! If you enjoy snorkeling, this will be so much better! Once you are comfortable, you can advance up the ladder. I think the best course is the Advanced Open Water. Here is where you learn about all sorts of stuff (photography, videography, navigation, marine life, wreck diving, night diving, etc). I love night diving, though its not for some. Its a completely different world at night as many day creatures go hide, others come out to feed, and the corals open up more . Photography is awesome too as it opens your eyes to the smaller critters that live in the rocks. Until I took a camera down, I never knew what was living in every little crevice on the reef! It is so amazing! Dont be pressured into buying all the gear at first. The basics are all you need (maks, fins, snorkel) and you will want good ones. As you travel and dive more, you will be able to rent gear and try out different brands to see which ones you like better. Then you can slowly buy items, or the whole package (which you usually get a discount with when you go that route). Youre right in that by being certified before your trip will allow you more options. Thankfully you have some time to get comfortable, if youre not already, in the water. Just dont forget to bring you c (certification) cards along when you travel! Grand Cayman has some great diving (I spent a week there and did over 20 dives- sometimes 5 per day! Cozumel has some great fish to look at too, and if youre in Florida, head down to the Keys (one of my favorite places), or Ginnie Springs! Have a great time!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal