Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 13th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Passenger

Default Best place to buy jewelry

Ports are Cozumel, Grand Caymon, and Costa Maya

Where the cheapest jewelry?

Looking for white gold, pearls, silver ect...

Old August 13th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: Best place to buy jewelry

Cru

I actually found that the jewelry on the ship was very competitive and bought several pieces (we were on the Inspiration). Shopping in Grand Cayman is very high. The best buy I saw on pearls and silver was in Cozumel. Hope this helps.

Darcy

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old August 13th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Passenger

Absolutely!

I'd hate to buy something on the first island then realize the next port was better! Thanks for the quick input.

Cruising a couple of week before Christmas so looking foward to the shopping!

Old August 14th, 2004, 10:52 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to formulachk

Hi Cru,

I bought jewelry from each port you are going to. I bought two Movado watches from Grand Cayman. The prices for the Movado watches are set so the guy told me they weren't negotiable. I paid about half price for the two watches since I bought his and hers. I bought two rings in Costa Maya that were gold and diamonds. Then I bought a ring in Cozumel that was gold and tanzanite. They are pretty much the same stores in both ports in Mexico. I bought them both at Diamonds International. I do buy quite a bit of jewelry so I feel I know how to negotiate somewhat. I took them to a local jeweler to be appraised and he said that 2 of them were worth what I paid for them and one of the rings I bought in Costa Maya was worth about $50 more then I paid for it. I was a bit disappointed. I'm somewhat hesitant to buy the next time I go away. I really thought since I was in a different country I'd really be getting a bargain, but I found out otherwise. That was even going back and forth with them on the price. I feel if I'm paying the same price as I would at home why not buy it at home. It really helps to know what you are looking for and know how much the item sells for.

Rachel
Old August 15th, 2004, 01:19 AM
pg

Watch out for Mexican Silver, it is not all good quality. I would ae to say the best place to shop is at home, but you can find some unique pieces in the Caribbean.
Old August 15th, 2004, 01:57 PM
hcat

If you buy on the Celeb ships you get a price & quality guarantee & some good prices as well--just less of a selection
Old August 16th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Passenger

Cru

I bought a white gold, emerald and diamond ring in Grand Cayman. We live in the UK, so I don't know how America's jewelry prices compare to that. But I can tell you that I had it valued for between 2/3 more than I paid.

Have a great trip

Veronica
Old August 18th, 2004, 09:40 AM
Admiral

unfortunatley none of your islands are "known" for their jewelry deals. You really have to watch the quality when you buy. Cozumel is probably your best bet, you can buy loose gemstones here and you don't declare them as jewlery -customs considers them "rocks". Vendors are very aggressive they have people out on the streets that will try to lure you into the jewlery stores. Your best bet might be the end of the cruise clearance sales on the ship.
Old August 18th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

depends on what kind of jewelry your after. i'm into the cheapo sterling silver and not the real stuff. on that note, i've found Cozumel to be cheapest & Playa Del Carmen has some cool stuff too.

Old August 22nd, 2004, 10:12 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Best place to buy jewelry

I found the prices in Grand Cayman outrageous, however was able to bargain in Mexico in the finer stores. Have a great time!!
Old August 23rd, 2004, 12:48 PM
BrooklynTherapist

Don't think that the silver jewlery with "tanzanite" stones are real tanzanite. The "tanzanite" is lab-created, basically purple cubic zirconia. One of the women on our ship paid $250 for the same ring I paid $40 for (I knew it wasn't real tanzanite and laughed at the $238 I was quoted when I asked the price.)

I haven't heard of any problems with tanzanite purchased that was set in gold.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 05:33 PM
Cindyrella

When buying silver in Mexico, always look for the 925 or 975 stamp. That being said, I once asked a sales person in a store in Puerto Vallarta if a piece was ral silver and they sure, of course. I then asked why it wasn't stamped and he said "oh, you want it stamped?" and proceeded to take out some instrument and stamp it! Buyer beware!!