Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 14th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Brian J

Default Hurricane impact

Leaving for the Western Carribean on the 21st of August and was wondering how the hurricane's impact cruises?
Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2004, 01:49 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to TC(Top-Cat)
Default Re: Hurricane impact

Wondering the same thing as we also leave on the 21st out of Tampa. Two new storms brewing. Here we go again......

TC

On Glory - 05-06-06

Sensation,Jubilee ,Maj.of the Seas,Conquest, Victory.
Old August 14th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Sea Treakker

The ships will avoid the storms. You will go to another port that is safer. Be sure to take some Bondine, or wear the patch, its sure to be rough seas.
Happy Cruising
Carole
Old August 14th, 2004, 07:15 PM
hcat

Arrive in port a day ahead in case the ship leaves early!
Old August 16th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

he I am also going on the navigator on august the 21!!
Old August 17th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Yeoman

There could be no effect at all. The ship will try to go around the storm if possible. If that is not possible, they might do the ports in reverse order or simply go somewhere else. But, from what I see on TV, there are no systems that would threaten your trip right now. I live on the Gulf Coast, so we are super sensitive to any storms. They are saying that the storm out there will go northEAST so you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Carnival Inspiration
Old August 29th, 2004, 09:49 PM
TN Terri

Default Re: Re: Hurricane impact

I'm supposed to leave Sunday Sept 5 on the Fantasy out of Port Canaveral headed to the Bahamas. Looks like the latest track for Hurricane Frances is toward the bahamas. My TA says we may be rerouted to Tampa/Carribbean.

My questions are: Can I get a shuttle from Orlando Airport to Tampa? Should I go ahead and book a hotel in Tampa for the night before as I have now in Port Canaveral?

Terri (need a vacation badly)
Old August 30th, 2004, 04:51 AM
Admiral

Frances is another strong one....Looks like we'll have to watch it as it's looking like it's going to turn and head our way in Jacksonville....

BUt you know those storms are so unpredictable....we won't know til it's almost here.
Good time to get those hurricane supplies in order everyone near here.

If it heads towards port canaveral they will most likely divert the ship to another port and/or leave early. I guess this is the reason why I book my cruises in Feb/March due to hurricanes. Living in Florida for 15 yrs has taught me alot. Good luck to everyone!

Old August 30th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Lynne &Trevor

We're headed for the Eastern Caribbean Sept.18. Frances will have passed by then,but I wonder if there will be anything left to see. St. Maarten had a Tropical Storm Warning up today, and the Northern Edge of the US Virgin Islands (St.Thomas) was due to get clipped or get some strong weather. Last week's group for the Eastern went West. It will probably be the case this week. I don't wish a hurricane on anybody, but if Frances heads up the East Coast, it most likely will close down the ports. This has really been a rough month or so for these storms. More than usual-all at once. Lynne

Old September 6th, 2004, 06:10 PM
Beginner

I have never heard of a cruise being cancelled due to weather.

They just go to a different port that is safe; extend the cruise;cut the cruise short.......

Rather be on a cruise than stuck in a hotel in the way of a hurricane.

Guess we need to watch for Ivan now. When will they end??!!
Old September 6th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

FYI, got pulled off RCCL SOS a day early due to Frances! They offered $200 or the option of staying on, with no known return date!! Many on the ship stayed.... anyone else back??

Took us 28 hours to drive back to Buffalo, 8 of which was spent on rte 75...

They dumped people off in Canaveral, with no transport and no car rentals available...

Old September 6th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Lynne &Trevor

WOW!
Our city,Sebring Florida-halfway between Ft. Pierce and Bradenton/Sarasota, just got hit with both Charley and Frances, so are hoping for a few nice weeks to clean up and rejuvenate.
My (our) cruise is Sept. 18 on the Caribbean Princess to the Eastern Caribbean so are watching Ivan very closely. It would be a shame to have to miss our cruise especially with all the planning that has gone on with several of us who will be meeting onboard. We're down to 11 days, 22 hours...... and counting. It's getting quite nervewracking?

So, where do you live in Buffalo? I used to live in North Tonawanda, and my father and stepmother lived in Cheektowaga, and my mother and step-father lived in NT, Orchard Park, Springville and now down by Lime Lake in Machias,NY. You must have had one heck of a ride getting home!

We have reserved a room at our favorite motel off the beach in Ft. Lauderdale for the night of Sept. 17. In the event that the little place had damage-although across from the beach and between tall buildings-my mother in law and sister in law live down there about 20 miles inland, near I-595.So, we'll have a place to stay. My husband just favors getting on the ship and staying there. He used to sail on Air Craft Carriers so would rather spend another day at sea than put in at the private island, anyway!

Bye for now. Lynne

Old September 6th, 2004, 08:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Actually live in Jamestown... but when I say Jamestown NY.. all people hear is NY, and think NYC.... My son is at UB, lives in the University Heights area...
Old September 7th, 2004, 04:28 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Hurricane impact

I grew up in JAMESTOWN NY....State St to be exact....
Lived there from age 3 to 16 and then we moved to NJ and now I"m in Jacksonville FL...been here since 1989.

I was back to Jamestown about 3 yrs back to visit a friend and I thought it looked very worn down and different then from when I grew up there in the 70's. My father owned the Mister Donut shop downtown which isn't there anymore. OH MEMORIES!