Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 16th, 2004, 07:52 AM
Passenger

Default Bird Island trip - Antigua

Has anyone done the Click here to view other St. Johns, Antigua Shore Excursions.
Bird Island Catamaran Sail is Antigua? We are booked on the Celebrity Constellation in January and are trying to select a nice relaxing shore excursion that involves sailing, beach time, and of course some rum drinks and food. Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Bird Island trip - Antigua

My husband and I did the Bird Is. catamaran in 2001 and loved it. The boat takes you about 1/4 way around Antigua. We watched sailboats and people on jet skis and windsurfing. I think there was an old fortress that we went by. Very relaxing.

The snorkeling was good (not great). We saw some cuttlefish, sea urchins, parrotfish, etc. It's a bit of a swim from where the catamaran stops to the reef. If you don't want to snorkel, there is a beach to relax on or else walk around the island. The island is small but there are some fairly steep hills. Our guide took us up a really steep, rocky path to the top of the hill. This is completely optional. We saw lizards and plenty of birds. The view from the top of the hill was unforgettable. There was a storm rolling in so we watched the dark clouds with lightning flashes in the distance while the sun was shining brightly on Antigua. If you do want to walk to the top, bring some shoes that you can hike in. I didn't know and wore flip-flops - not recommended!!!

On the way back, they cooked a traditional Caribbean lunch and the rum punch flowed! I would do this one again.

Rhapsody of the Seas

Brilliance of the Seas
Old August 16th, 2004, 06:39 PM
debp

Default Re: Re: Bird Island trip - Antigua

Been to Bird Island as well but with another excursion, Antigua Paddles. It is a beautiful area and you will not regret it. I agree that the snorkeling from the catamaran is quite a swim. Our excursion took us closer to the snorkeling on Carolina Boats that were able to go over the shallows where the cat couldn't.

The view from the top of the hill was awsome. The colors of the waters around Antigua were unforgetable. The frigate birds there are really something to watch. They hover and dive because their wingspan is too big for them to take off from the water.

Either excursion you will enjoy.