Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 20th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Robin Jackson

Default How to get to St. John's?

Okay, I need some infomation. I understand from posts that getting to St. John is easy. Take a taxi from the ship to Red Hook. Catch the ferry to St. Johns. Take a taxi to the beach.

I would like to know about how much it costs to do all of this? And secondly, about how long does it take from ship to ferry to beach, assuming that we time it right and don't have to wait more than 20 mintues or so for the ferry. Can you do it in an hour?
Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2004, 09:03 PM
First Mate

Default Re: How to get to St. John?

This website might help you for getting to St John:

http://vinow.com/general_usvi/cruise...uide_page1.php

There is a section near the bottom titled "Ferry Schedules/How to get to St. John from Ship " and it is very detailed, including ferry schedules and prices.

I don't believe you can go from ship to beach on St John in one hour. Assume about 20+ minutes for each mode of transportation (taxi, ferry, taxi) plus wait-times, ferry boarding time, etc. I would say slightly over an hour assuming you walk off the ship at the right time.

Also, it is called "St John" (singular) as "St Johns" (plural) is a city on the island Antigua.
Old August 20th, 2004, 09:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: How to get to St. John's?

Hi Robin,
No, I think the total travel time is more than an hour, taxi ride is about 20 minutes and then the ferry is another 20 minutes at least. Once in St. John its a shorter taxi ride to the beach, taxi to Red Hood will be around $20 and the ferry is $3.00 per person, another $4.00 for admission to the beach if you go to Trunk Bay. There is also another taxi in St. John which will be a few dollars too. Here is a link to the ferry schedule:

Ferry Schedule

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 21st, 2004, 02:46 PM
Admiral

Taxi ride about 15-20 minutes...Red Hook Ferry only left each hour on the hour so you may have to wait for the next one depending upon when you get there to the ferry.
Then the ferry ride is about 15 mins and then I can't say how long the taxi ride is to where you want to go because we just rented a jeep and toured the island ourselves.

Old August 21st, 2004, 05:39 PM
hcat

We booked the ships excursion & they leave right from the same dock as the ship--just a ashort walk. & then give you a bus to the beach. Take your bonine. We found the open water between the islands a bit flip floppy on the stomach--esp on the ride over! But DO NOT MISS ST JOHN. It is really the best!
Old August 24th, 2004, 01:41 PM
bravado15

I concur with all of the above.

And to just be clear: you will have NO trouble getting there. When you get to the beach you want (Trunk Bay is the famous one) just be sure you secure passage back to the ferry. You taxi driver will probably ask when you want to be picked up. You should have no trouble at all.

Of course allow extra time to get back to be safe, and if you get back early take the St Thomas air tram to Paradise Point. An excellent view of the island. It's within walking distance to the pier and is an easy fun way to end your day at St. Thomas.