Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 28th, 2004, 01:37 AM
Robert Huss

Default Western Caribbean Excursions

'm looking for suggestions on the best excursions!!

I am on the Mariner of the Seas 9/12/04, and will be stopping at these ports...
Cozumel
Georgetown, Grand Cayman
Labadee
Ocho Rios

Going with a group of 6 people (three older) that are not all that much into water / beach.

What options are there in these ports? They would love tours, etc.

Do you know where the best place to go for the excursions would be? (Anyplace cheaper than the cruise line?)

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Robert
Sponsored Links
Old August 28th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Amy Shupert

Default Re: Western Caribbean Excursions

In Ocho Rios we did a tour with Phil Lafayette and it was $30.00 and it included the $10.00 for Dunn's River Falls. He is fantastic and takes you all over Ocho Rios. We saw Fern Gully, Dunn's River Falls, Phil's private waterfall which was beautiful and no one there but us. The vendors are very aggressive and Phil protects you very well. We weren't hassled except at the falls and that's because Phil waited at the bus while we climbed the falls. I don't advise climbing the falls !!!
In Georgetown we did the Stingray City tour with Capt. Bryan but if you're not into water things that may not work for you. There were people doing the tour that really didn't get into the water and said they enjoyed just seeing the stingrays.
Cozemel we went to the ruins and did a private tour that cost $ 50.00 and really wouldn't reccommend it. I can't even remember the name of the company. The ruins are interesting but not major in size. If you have any questions just e-mail me.
Old August 28th, 2004, 02:53 PM
BrooklynTherapist

We just returned fom a Western Caribbean cruise last week.

In Ocho Rios, you must use Peat Taylor. If you read the boards, you'll see a multitude of recommendations for Peat Taylor. The tour was $30 (included admission to the Falls). Peat took us to the falls, Fern Gully, Wassi Pottery Factory, toured various neighborhoods (with tons of photo opportunities), and sang to entertain us. He is comical and really took care of everyone on the tour.

In Grand Cayman, we went to Stingray City. We booked that excursion through the ship, but you can get much better pricing by booking with either Captain Marvin or Captain Bryan. Stingray City was quite amazing.

In Cozumel, we booked the Dolphin Encounter. Being so close to, and interacting with, dolphins is something I will NEVER forget.
Old August 28th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Sorry to Amy, but I would absolutely climb the falls if you all are fit or somewhat fit. There are exits on each level if you hate it. Why bother going to Dunns River Falls just to watch others. Our group of 9 ranging in age from 13 - 50 all climbed. It was an incredible experience. And definitely get a private tour. We did Peat Taylor who was great. There was only a group of 12 in our van. Only place I would avoid in Ochos Rios is the flea market. The vendors are scary. WOuld ask Peat to find a better shopping area then what he dropped us off. He is very flexible and would adjust his standard tour according to your needs.
Old September 1st, 2004, 05:07 PM
Jennifer Crouch

Default Re: Re: Western Caribbean Excursions

I agree with all of the posts above. I would absolutely climb the falls. I realize we are each at a different fittness level. I am mid thirties and in moderate shape and I had zero difficulty. I hope I don't steer you wrong. We have also gone tubing down the river in Ochos Rios and had a blast (you have to see the falls on your first trip). We found out about the tubing on the www.visitjamaica.com site.

You have to do the sting ray tour if it at all interests you. It is a once in a life time thing, GREAT!

Cozumel, we rented mopeds and went to San Fransisco beach. Nothing special. I think that the AtV thing looks fun or maybe the Dune buggies.

Good luck, Jen
Old September 2nd, 2004, 09:12 AM
Admiral

totally agree with the above posters that Peat Taylor is the way to go in Jamaica. Dunns River falls is a must do. The climb is moderate to easy, just make sure you have on eiter water sandals or canvas tennis shoes, something with a sole that grips, the rocks are slippery in spots, there will always be people to give you a "hand-up" if you are having any kind of difficulty, there are also "outways" along the falls if you find the climb to be to much for you. There is a stairway that runs alongside the entire lenght of the falls that offers a great view of the falls and the people.
Sting Ray City/Sandbar is the tour to do in Caymen, do it on your own through one of the local tour companies, its amazing.
Cozumel - lots of beachs and great snorkeling to choose from. If you like to snorkel or want to try it then i would highly recommend booking a ships tour to the Palencaar Reef- amazing and its a really easy snorkel, no effort involved at all, the current gently pushes you along.
If you want beaches,& snorkeling - dolphin swim, mini replica of the ruins, small aquarium and souvenior shop then grab a cab to Channunnkaab National Park.
If you just want beaches my top choices are: Paradise, Playa del Sol and Mr.Pancho's.
also a stop at Carlos'N' Charlies for a marquerita before you return to the ship!!
Old September 2nd, 2004, 11:29 AM
Jennifer Crouch

Default Re: Re: Western Caribbean Excursions

Also, there are (were) free margarita coupons at Panchos backyard and Carlos and Charlies (and I think at ??Mr Santos beach??? is that right). Just do a search to find their web sites and you should find them. Margaritaville in Ochos Rios has them to but you have to search the whole site to find them. Last year they were on the t-shirt order page. This all may have changed since last year but it might be worth looking!

www.mrsanchos.com I just looked and there is one here. This beach is just (one or two) past Chanaqu????? the state park one.

www.panchosbackyard.com There is one here also.

http://www.carlosn-charlies.com/charlies/goodies.asp In the upper right corner.

Okay, I guess I did the searching for you. Have fun!

jen