Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 28th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Panama Canal cruise during the summer

I would love to go on a Panama Canal cruise, but being a teacher, I can only plan my trips around Christmas, spring break, and during the summer.

I've noticed that there are no cruises to the Panama Canal during the summer months of July thru August. Is there a reason why, or am I not looking at all of my options?
Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Panama Canal cruise during the summer

My guess would be that most of the cruise lines use the Panama Canal cruise as a repositioning vehicle. They may do several sailings but end up on the "other side". Second guess would be the heat. We went on the Legend of the Seas in February/March and it was hot then! Cheers!
Old August 29th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for your insight. Your answer brings me to another question. What does the heat have to do with cruising in the Panama Canal? Isn't the heat as hot as in the Caribbean? What would be different between the two?
Old August 29th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Familiar Face

I guess the heat is more of a personal issue for me! ! However, most of the Caribbean ports are beach oriented and there's no beach in the canal. (Tho we had Aruba on one side and Costa Rica on the other). Cheers!
Old August 29th, 2004, 07:55 PM
First Mate

getsemani -

I second your question!! I am a teacher as well. I would LOVE to take a Panama Canal cruise!! But of course we can't take off two weeks (or usually even two days!) during the school year. They seem to be traditionally in October and April-ish. Hubby wants to take one, but won't without me.

If any cruiseline people read this...
I would think that you could easily have a Panama Canal cruise in the summer - like ten days from Houston to San Diego. Have it go back and forth. There's lots and lots of teachers who would be all for that!! Plus, being a longer cruise, that would mean fewer kiddos possibly. (I don't know about other teachers, but when I am on vacation... I kinda like to be away from kiddos... even though I love the 150+ I teach every single day! I just need a "vacation") Also, for some odd reason, the prices seem to skyrocket when we have our mandated holidays. (!)
Old August 30th, 2004, 10:04 AM
Admiral

the Panama Canal would be unberable in the summer. Its not just hot its totally oppressive, tropical jungle heat, the kind that makes you pass-out.
Its also a matter of supply and demand. Most people who cruise in the summer are familes with kids, 7 day cruise is all that they can manage, and most want to hit the beaches of the Caribbean.
The Panama Canal is an awesome experience, if you can do it over your winter break, that would be the ideal time, we did a total canal transit in January - we did a 10 day from San Juan to Acapulco. It was the best.
Old August 31st, 2004, 10:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

A 10 day cruise during winter break would be fabulous if any were offered during my break. The cruises offered during December are either at least a week before my scheduled time off, or during my time off, but overlaps, which makes it impossible for me to even considering a Panama Canal cruise.
Old August 31st, 2004, 01:19 PM
Passenger

Now, I could be wrong, but I thought RC's Legend of the Seas did a year round trip through the PC. The Brilliance only does october-april. The Serenade and the Radiance do repositionings usually 1 in april and 1 in october. But, I think the Legend does year round. You might ck this out.

Disney's Wonder 9/18/05
Old September 2nd, 2004, 11:10 PM
Familiar Face

As I said above we were on the Legend Feb/Mar 04. She will be doing the canal in October 04, December 04 and Jan, Feb and Mar 05. It's a great ship and a fabulous experience. Cheers!