We are leaving for Key West and Cozumel in November. It will be us and another couple. None of us have ever been on a cruise or to either of these places. Can you give us some advice of what to do in each place? We would also like to know if Margaritaville is worth visiting in Key West. Thanks so much for any info.
I can't help with Key West.
Cozumel - A lot depends upon what you like to do.
1. Snorkel adventure - book a ships's tour to the Palencaar Reef - this place is amazing and the snorkeling is very easy.
2. Dolphin Swims - book your swim early at Channunkaab National Park. - This place also has a really nice beach, good snorkeling, replica of the Mayan Ruins, a small aquarium & souvenior shop.
3. Beach - lots to choose from. My top picks would be Paradise, Playa Del Sol and Mr. Pancho's
4. Mayan Ruins - book a ships tour to the ruins at Tulum.
5. A stop at Carlos'N' Charlies for a killer marquerita before you return to the ship is a must do.!
6. Thing to avoid - the folklore festival and flamingo dancing tour - waste of time & money
I used to work in the Keys so for me, KW is about shopping, eating, and drinking! If your a Buffet fan, then you have to check out Margaritvaille. Its a bit of a walk down Duval though. The food is so-so, overpriced, but the drinks arent bad. Theres a little shop that gets cramped quickly. They sell everything imaginable with Margaritaville on it. We like Sloppy Joes, and if you ask the locals, they can steer you to good spots. Some of the best ones are on the side streets. The Conch Train as mentioned is a great way to see KW and will take you by most of the famous spots. The aquarium is small, but not bad. Dont forget to get some Key Lime Pie while there. Kermits Key Lime shop is one of my favorites. He sells lots of Key Lime products (candy, dressings, etc). Around the corner from him is a great little jeweler Whitfield Jack. I love his work as it is quite unique. You can pick up a symbol of Key West-a conch shell charm. He makes everything to order, so you might not walk out with your purchase. For great gifts/haircare/perfume/makeup/etc products check out Key West Aloe (sister company is Waikiki Aloe in Hawaii). The use tropical scents and aloe in their products and smell great. There are 2 stores-a ritzy looking boutique near the Hyatt and a rundown looking place down the side street from Sloppy Joes. Go to the latter as the prices are better. Same stuff too. Pick up a free tourist guide as there are coupons in there. KW is not a beach stop-the beaches are not too nice sometimes and can stink from the stuff that washes up. Here are a few sites to help prep you: http://www.keywestweb.com/shopping.phphttp://www.florida-keys.fl.us/flakeys.htm and there are a lot more if you do a search. Have a great time!
We're going on the 20th out of New Orleans to Costa Maya&Cozumel on the Sensation. I can't wait this will be our first also. We went ahead and got a Lg. private Balcony Suite. I hope it's worth it. We're thinking about doing the Dolphin thing in Cozumel. I haven't looked into Costa Maya yet though. Well, hope we all have a great time. Is it still warm enough to do the water things in Nov ?