Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 1st, 2004, 12:59 PM
WrenT

Default Need things to do in St. Thomas

My cruise will be stopping in St. Thomas at the end of February. We arrive at 8:00 a.m. and leave port at 6:00 p.m.

I do not want to take any of the ship's excursions as they are usually cost prohibitive and I usually have more fun on our own.

There are four of us, all in our late 30s, athletic, we love the beach, sun and water sports. None of us are into shopping.

Does anyone know anything about parasailing operators?

How difficult is it to get to St. John on our own? Is it costly? Can anyone recommend ferry operators?

Any recommendations on free beaches? Can we rent snorkel equipment?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Tracy
Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2004, 02:08 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Need things to do in St. Thomas

Its really easy to get to St. John Island - you will need to grab a cab at the pier- $8.00 per person, this will take you to Red Hook Harbor- here you will buy a round-trip ticket on the water taxi for about $5.00 per person. The ferry runs every hour on the hour and it takes a good half hour to get to Red Hook from the pier. Once docked at Cruz Bay on St. John Island you grab another cab - around $5.00per person to any of the beaches. Trunk Bay is the most popular- they charge admission. There are plenty of great beaches all with pristine turquoise water, white sand and really good snorkeling. We like to go to Cinnamon Bay which is basically next door to trunk bay. Its nothing fancy, but it has clean facilites, you can rent floats, snorkel gear and sunfish type sailboats, they have a nice little outdoor grill to grab a burger. No liquor allowed on any of the beaches on St. John.
I don't know if parasailing is available on St. Thomas, i know that you can rent jet-skis on St. Thomas - nothing on St. John - its a park.
Since you said that you aren't big shoppers i would suggest that you hit the beach in the morning, come back to the ship, change clothes, maybe grab a bite to eat and then hire a cab for a couple of hours to just tour the island. Make sure that you get to the top of the island, the view is amazing, I can't recall off hand the name of the spot that you would want to go to, but your cabbie would know.
There is a mall ( Havensight) right at the pier so if you just wanted to wander around you don't have far to go.
Old September 1st, 2004, 04:45 PM
Jennifer Crouch

How about a day sail (6 person max). There are alot of sails operating out of St Thomas and it is supposed to be the highlight of your cruise. This is from all the stuff I have read and from my parents. I will let you know personally after we do it on Sept 28th. I am so excited. We are going with Ike Witt charters but they are all supposed to be good. Here are a couple of sites to give you the idea.
www.sailwinifred.com
www.ikewittcharters.com
www.sailjester.com

Also, if you want to spend the money, the America's Cup Regatta is supposed to be a blast. I think we are going to hold off and just go to the beach. I would like to see Maho beach, where the airplanes land and then go to a quieter beach and maybe jet ski.?.

Like I said, we are going Sept 25 thru Oct 4th ish so if you want to e-amil me afterwards, I'd be happy to tell you what I learned.

Jen
mjcrouch@4dv.net
Old September 1st, 2004, 08:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

"We are going with Ike Witt charters but they are all supposed to be good. "

Jen, I checked out the Ike Witt website but it didn't include prices. Are they reasonable?
Old September 1st, 2004, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Here is a link to the ferry schedule, helps you plan your day and allow plenty of time for the traveling. I bet you will love St. Johns:

Ferry Schedule to St. Johns

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 2nd, 2004, 09:17 AM
Admiral

Jen, just to clarify things, Maho beach and the America's Cup Regatta are on St. Maarten not St. Thomas.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 11:18 AM
Jennifer Crouch

Default Re: Re: Need things to do in St. Thomas

Hey!

I did know that the Americas cup and Maho were on St Martin but she had asked in a different thread about there so I thought I would combine them. Always cutting corners!

Ike Witt is in line with the others. They all run about $125. per person (ouch)! Depending on the time of year, some of them offer a cash discount to $99. (quite significant). Capt Pat (Ike Witt) didn't in Sept because there are not a whole lot of boats in the area. I decided to go with them because I had heard alot about them and then I called ConciergeVI.com and she raved about him (and Fantasy and Winifred). She said he is very personable and he will get in the water and snorkle with you and show you things. I'm sure you know but it includes a breakfast snack, open bar, lunch and he will either take you where he thinks is nice or wherever you want to go. Beach, sailing, snorkling. I am very excited. I hope the weather is nice. When are you going? Like I said, if it is after us, e-amil me (in case I forget to get back on here) and I will tell you what I learned. The people going with us are doing totally different things so I will have two perspectives to share.

Jen
Old September 5th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Passenger

Re St Thomas- You should also check for day sails with www.interlinesail.com
We went sailing with them to St John, and the price was $99 for a fantastic day. We did 2 snorkel stops, both excellent. The Captain let me take a turn at the wheel, which was a lot of fun. The beach stops were just too beautiful for words, and the snorkeling was fantastic- lots of fish and coral reef. We had plenty to eat and drink, and they returned us to the dock in time for us to also go shopping. The area of Red Hook had lots of shops and restaurants, and we enjoyed seeing all the different boats in the harbor.
We also shopped at the stores right on the cruise ship dock. St Thomas was our favorite port.

Old September 5th, 2004, 11:31 PM
First Mate

IN St Thomas we went to the little store bought juice and rum/ ice and a minnow bucket to mix drinks in. took a cab to Megans bay 3.00 to get in we took our own snorkle's. They have a snack stand and picninc tables, showers. On the way back the cab stopped for us to do photos and a little roadside stand. When you get cab don't pay them until they come back for you. That way you have a ride back to ship. we did all of this for 20.00 a person.

Destiny,Rhapsody ,Conquest x2
Old September 12th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Phyllis Hall, Manager

Its easy to get to St. John for a day at Trunk Bay Beach. Take a taxi to Red Hook, where Ferryies leave every hour on the hour to Cruz Bay, St. John. Once on St. John, take a taxi to Trunk Bay Beach.

When ready to leave, take a taxi from there back to Cruz Bay for a ferry ride back to St. Thomas to Havensite where your boat is docked up.

Phyllis
Hillcrest Guest House, St. John US Virgin Islands
www.hillcreststjohn.com
340 776-6774
Old September 12th, 2004, 05:01 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Need things to do in St. Thomas

We took a tour from Pasqual's Tour bus. he greets you when you get to St. Thomas;. Told us to meet him at 12 noon and took us by open bus for a tour including top of Megans Bay - stopped a couple of times for pictures then to Sapphire Beach for 2 1/2 hours and then brough us back to ship. $20 for adults $15 for kids. Great guy.
Old September 14th, 2004, 01:45 PM
chip brady

When you get off the ship, there will be lots of cabs waiting. Hop in one and they will take you to coral world. The cab fare is 8.00 for 4 of you. It will cost 17.00 to get in coral world. It is great. There is a large building setting on the bottom of the ocean. It is all glass and you feel like you are diving. Up top there are large ponds with sharks. stingrays. turtles and others. We spent 4 hours there and will be going back again in Feb.
We asked them why the ship did not sell tickets and they said that the cruiselines want 30 per cent.

Have fun Chip Brady