Old September 1st, 2004, 12:00 PM
Passenger

Default Tortola B.V.I.

I'm sailing next Sept 22, 2005 on the Jewel (it's going to be a long year... and Tortola is one of the ports. Does anyone know anything about this island?

Liberty of the Seas
Old September 1st, 2004, 12:37 PM
hcat

Default Re: Tortola B.V.I.

Non tender port It's lovely, very British feel (BVI) with a very small shopping area,(Columbian Emeralds & regular local shops , plus touristy ones) ,Pusser's store, also a bar/grill. Island is mountainous, with winding roads & beautiful.beaches. Goats roam freely. We took a tour that went up & around & stopped at Cane Garden Bay beach for awhile--it was magnificent. Our first choice excursion to the Baths at Virgin Gorda was cancelled but this worked out fine--time for a tour, shopping & also libations at Pussers. If I win the lottery I'd love to spend alot of time down there... You are lucky tohave it on your trip
Old September 1st, 2004, 12:48 PM
Passenger

If you like to shop till you drop or touristy areas, this is not an island for you. There are a few jewelry shops, etc. but not very many. Compared to other islands, it is much less developed and very charming. It is mostly a stopping point for sailors and you will see a lot of yachts moored there. There are a few colourful huts where locals sell merchandise. I loved to shop there and bought quite a few t-shirts and a great hat. The vendors are very friendly and do not harass anyone. There is usually someone playing some steel drums and you can purchase a cold drink and just sit back and enjoy the atmosphere.

As for excursions, I went on a snorkelling catamaran sail. We didn't see too many colourful fish, but the water was amazingly clear and warm. I didn't want to leave. Many of the small islands are totally deserted and it was wonderful just sailing along and enjoying the rum punch.

It's an island I would definitely enjoy seeing again.
Old September 6th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Jennifer Crouch

I know that it is part of the British Virgin Islands which are right next to St John and St Thomas. There is an island real close called Virgin Gorda which has a beautiful natural phonmenon (sp). The Baths. They are volcanic rock, not indiginous to the area, that are the size of cars and houses. They form grottos to walk through, snorkle under etc. Forgive me if any of my information is in correct...I have never been but was researching it for our cruise in three weeks and I really wanted to do it. Here is a link

http://homepage.mac.com/nigel_all/PhotoAlbum17.html
http://homepage.mac.com/jerelull/BVI/baths/
http://www.garyfelton.com/MR11.htm

Tortola is also near Jost Van Dyke and the Soggy dollar bar (as seen on the travel channel). A bar where you have to swim ashore so all of your money is "soggy"!

Just search under any of these options and you will find a wealth of info. I'm jealous! It should be a fun port.

(Although since Princess Cays just got "blown" away by Frances, maybe we will get to stop there too.

Jen
Old September 6th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Dan p

You can also go to the Library and read up on the Island.
Old September 9th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Passenger

Thank you for the info. I'm not a big shopper so this will be just fine. It sounds like a really beautiful place. I can't wait to check it all out.

Liberty of the Seas