CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean & Panama Canal (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/caribbean-panama-canal/)
-   -   Isla Roatan (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/caribbean-panama-canal/251928-isla-roatan.html)

Bob B September 1st, 2004 05:39 PM

Isla Roatan

We are going on the Valor on 1/23/05 any suggestions on Snorkeling or beaches there? What else is there to do there.

Bob

Brenda in Canada September 3rd, 2004 01:26 PM

Re: Isla Roatan

Hi Bob, We are researching Roatan (and also Belize) for the same cruise as you. I have not seen a Roll Call yet for it here. I will have to start one. I have found some people going on our cruise. Should(no, it WILL) be a great time.(We are a family with 2 kids:7,13 from Vancouver,B.C.,Canada) So many choices for excursions!! Hope to 'talk' cruise with you later.

cthrn27 September 3rd, 2004 03:00 PM

While on Isla Roatan we went on the semi sub and enjoyed it. Then, the guide took us to a store/restaurant right on the water where we had cool drinks and were entertained by the locals (dancing). While most on the tour shopped, our guide walked us a short distance away to a beautiful, isolated beach. The water was totally clear and the sand pristine. I didn't see any snorkeling there.........? It was so beautiful and relaxing...ahhh

Bob B September 3rd, 2004 04:43 PM

Brenda,

I saw a post of yours the other day. We have a huge group going on this cruise. One of the ladies going with us is Canadian and she said to say hey. Hopefully we will find some great things to do there!!!!

Mrsox September 4th, 2004 07:43 AM

We LOVE Roatan...still relatively untouched by first world invasion...still has it's authentic charm! In Coxen Hole (where you dock) you can easily hire a local to be your guide for the day, or have him drive you some place to start your day. We went to Half Moon Bay first...great snorkeling!!! Walked thru West End Village...cool little shops, sand streets. At the end of the village you can take a water taxi for a few bucks to West Bay Beach (2-3 miles away) for beach time...this is the most popular and scenic beach. Have a great lunch at Bite on the Beach overlooking the water. Grab a cab back to the dock. Check out: www.travel-to-honduras.com

Have a great time...it's such a beautiful place!
-Angie

Bob B September 4th, 2004 08:30 AM

Thanks Angie...

I will check it out

Brenda in Canada September 4th, 2004 12:11 PM

Angie-that does sound great!
Hi Bob-lots of fun planning to do, eh?!!!
Brenda in Vancouver

Bob B September 5th, 2004 07:51 AM

Hey Brenda,

Is this you guys first cruise or just the first cruise with the whole family?

Brenda in Canada September 5th, 2004 01:33 PM

I cruised Princess(W.Caribb.) in Jan/01 with a girl friend for our 40th birthday! This is the first cruise for the rest of my family. We are so excited!!!!!!!!!
Are you all flying in early the day before the cruise. We are.Maybe even 2 days. No air sales yet :-(
Edit:Bob I see my ship is leaving 2 hours after yours!! My clock is 2 hrs. behind!!! YIKES!! LOL LOL

Post Edited (09-05-04 13:35)

reverendjeff September 7th, 2004 09:53 AM

Try Half Moon Bay for snorkeling, you will not be disappointed. There are some nice resturants there and the Honduran beer is wonderful. I bought some small bags of cashews from a kid whose mother had roasted them. I will never enjoy a cashew as much as that again. This is a very poor area with wonderful people and a great potential.

Brenda in Canada September 8th, 2004 11:39 AM

Thanks for the info reverendjeff. I have heard of Half Moon Bay;good to get a snorkeling recommendation from there.

chip brady September 14th, 2004 01:06 PM

We took an excursion that took us to the parrott farm and then to a dolphin show. Nice quiet relaxing day. The villages are so poor!!! I took a roll of quarters and gave them to the kids. I looked like the pied piper!! Nice people but so poor. There are no commercialized tourist places, but nice to see how other people live. Got back on ship very grateful for what we have.

Chip Brady

cruiser1999 September 14th, 2004 01:12 PM

In Half Moon Bay, does one need a boat for the good snorkeling, or can I do it from the beach? Thanks.

reverendjeff September 15th, 2004 08:32 AM

We just went from the beach, which is very rocky at the point we were at. The water stayed shallow for a good distance and we encountered starfish there. There are some rental kayaks and some boat excursions. From the beach we had many colorful fish and really had a great time.