Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 6th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Beginner

Default Galveston

Hey all!

We just booked a Princess cruise for March 2005 on the Grand sailing from Galveston. So now I am trying to glom all the information I can on the port and the logistics. What is the best airport possibility? Galveston itself or Houston? We're coming from the Northeast and there aren't any flights directly to Galveston, so I am assuming it is a small-ish airport. Correct? IF Houston is the best choice, what's the travel time to Galveston? Any interesting places to stay (we always leave and arrive with an extra day to spare) or sights to see? We are two couples traveling together and are so excited to try something different from the standard Ft. Lauderdale itineraries. If anyone has cruised from Galveston, I would love to hear your experiences!

Thanks in advance!
Jen

Sponsored Links
Old September 6th, 2004, 04:30 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Galveston

We flew into Houston Hobby. I tooke the Galveston Limo service to Galvaeston. It took 30-45 min top. The driver pointed out things of intrest. We had the Limo service pick us up when the ship ported back in Galveston and they were just outside the door.They were the first group of vans to pick up it was great. We walked the seawall and watched the shrimp boats. The dolphins follow them. they showed us the oil derick that they used for the movie (Armagaton) not sure of spelling. We had dinner at a small resturant on the sea wall they had the best shrimp and deserts. I do not remeber the name but it had inside and outside sittings. I hope you have a great trip.

Destiny,Rhapsody ,Conquest x2
Old September 7th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Passenger

You would need to fly into Houston-Hobby International airport...you can take cabs or shuttle services to galveston island anytime....It is about a 30 min drive south to the island....A neat place to stay in galveston is at a place called the Harbor House at pier 21. It is right next to the cruise ship terminal and all their rooms have a view of the harbor...It is located next to all the shops and eating places in the historic part of town....you can view all of the hotels in galveston by going to www.galveston.com....most of the larger hotels will shuttle you to the terminal for free should you decide on a hotel further away....Be sure to book early...the hotels fill up fast with galveston having 3 ships at the same time now .Let me know how things work out for you. I hope this helps

Rhapsody of the Seas 9/2003
Rhapsody of the Seas 9/2004
Old September 7th, 2004, 10:03 PM
karenh1127

Houston has 2 airports: Hobby and Bush Intercontinental. Hobby is about 30-40 min drive but Bush is about 1 hour or more depending on traffic. The best hotels in Galveston are The Galvez, San Luis, Moody Gardens, and my personal favorite Tremont House which is 2 blocks from cruise pier and 1 block from histroric strand district. It is a historic hotel with wood floors, high ceilings, wrought iron beds, plenty of sitting area, and towel warmers. I love this hotel! Galveston Limo is highly rated but a little pricey at around $35 per person. A rental car would run you about $65 one way. Not sure what a cab is. Hobby is closest airport but I have found flights from here are more $ than Bush. The Rainforest Cafe in Galveston is really good too. Great atmosphere and a little boat ride inside too. Have fun. Incidently, I live near Galveston!
Old September 10th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Galveston

Thanks for all the great info, guys! If anyone has any more I'd love to hear it!

Old September 11th, 2004, 08:05 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to SarahVic Send a message via MSN to SarahVic

Definitely have breakfast at the Rainforest Cafe. We love that place.

Smile! It just feels good.
Old September 12th, 2004, 12:44 PM
First Mate

Airport Codes:
IAH = Houston Intercontinental (north of town; many major airlines; busy airport)
HOU = Houston Hobby (just south of town and closer to ports - Houston and Galveston; not as many total flights by all airlines in and out of HOU overall as compared to IAH; Southwest mostly flies out of HOU but has a few flights from IAH-DAL)

Post Edited (09-12-04 12:48)
Old September 30th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Everett Lee DeGolyer

I can't answer your question about whether Galveston even has commercial airline service. I'm not even sure Galveston does have it.

Houston does, of course. A word to the wise, though. Houston Continental is a very long way away from Galveston. I suspect that taxi fare to Galveston from Houston Intercontinental would be high. I can't tell you about airport limos or Super Shuttle service because I live in Austin, Texas and when I go to Houston I prefer to drive.

Houston's Hobby Airport is closer to Galveston. Hobby is primarily served by Southwest airlines. I don't know what sort of taxi fare you'd pay from Hobby, but it would be considerably less than what you'd pay for IAH.

Your stay in Galveston needn't be a crashing bore. While Galveston isn't the wild port city it was until the middle 1950's when the Do-Gooders cleaned it up, there are amusements. There's a nice little seaport museum fairly close to the cruise ship pier, and a little railroad museum is also nearby. Galveston's Strand has some nice shops and restaurants. The beach is just beyond walking distance but there is a tourist trolley that operates during the summer. Galveston's beaches are relatively narrow and are at the base of a long seawall beside a long boulevard studded with hotels.

Enjoy!
Old October 1st, 2004, 08:29 AM
Yeoman

A word to the wise, though. Houston Continental is a very long way away from Galveston. I suspect that taxi fare to Galveston from Houston Intercontinental would be high>>>

limo service about 100.00 a shared van would be cheaper