Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 10th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Yeoman

Default Concerned about 12-5-04 cruise..

I'm reading about all these islands that either have been damaged or great chance they will be with these hurricanes. We're supposed to go to the Caymans, Jamaica, Cozumel and Labadee on the Mariner on 12-5....Our final pmt is due the 20th of this month. I'm sure after this weekend we'll know more about the damage. But I hate to pay for the cruise and then can't even go to the islands. This is why we've picked this itinerary and ship. I wonder if they'd be "cleaned up" to be able to visit by then. I know some damage will take some time. Then I wonder how soon they know what other islands they would visit so we can decide if we even want to do this itinerary or not.

Any suggestions?
thanks!

Old September 11th, 2004, 08:57 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Concerned about 12-5-04 cruise..

I would think the islands would be attempting to clean up quickly because many depend on tourism. I know after Andrew, there was still visible damage 5 yrs later around Homestead, so there will probably still be signs in Dec. I'm sure RCI would change the route if things were not in good shape, and you would be told about it ahead of time. If you don't like the new route and you've already paid, I'm not sure if they would allow you to rebook or not. I would hope that if the change comes after you've paid for the original route that they would allow you to rebook another trip. You might want to call your TA or RCI just to be sure. As of now, Jamaica doesn't seem to be taking a direct hit, which is good news. Cozumel and Labadee look to be out of the woods, but Cayman is not looking good (and it's low lying). By the way, we did this trip last year on the Navigator and had a great time. Labadee was one of our favorites, along with Cayman. I hope you get to make all the stops. If you're going to dive/snorkel, realize that there may be quite a bit of reef damage from this storm too. It's a shame as Cayman and Cozumel have incredible reefs. A few wrecks in Cayman were broken up or flipped on their sides from previous storms as well.

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old September 11th, 2004, 09:01 AM
Yeoman

Post A New Message | View All Topics | Go to Topic | Search Newer Topic | Older Topic
Just read this on another thread:

Cayman Islands Update
Author: steve r (---.pariscorp.com)
Date: 09-10-04 12:36

To all planning on going to the Cayman Islands:

Extensive damage will occur in wake of extremely dangerous Hurricane Ivan. If the storm remains on its present forecast and expected intensity, the Cayman Islands, espeically eastern islands, will experience significant winds, storm surge and rain tonight through Saturday evening. The potential impact could be quite great and at worst case, a direct impact could cause destruction that will last for years. Do not expect to make a port call on this island through the rest of this year. Therefore, you should plan accordingly with itinerary revisions.

I am a forecaster with the NWS and an avid cruiser and I am saddended by this event and quite concerned.

Old September 11th, 2004, 11:25 AM
hcat

Oh well, we are due there in March. Have been there before & were only planning to do something nearby the pier. If cancelled hope they would add another port rather than a sea day. Don't know what else could be fit in--maybe Jamaica as it seems not so badly damaged as of earlier today. GUess we'll have to see how things go. Poor Florida! Key West may also be taken off the regular list...depending.
Old September 11th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Admiral

Most of those places depend alot on tourism (cruisers, vacationers, etc) and will most likely have alot of the damage cleaned up. We all know that may not be possible and visible signs will most likely be there but my thought is they will have the major things fixed and ready to go in order to get the tourists back.

Old September 15th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Yeoman

Another post said Cayman will be closed indefinitely for the rest of 2004.

alison