Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 13th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Passenger

Default RCL vs Princess vs Celebrity

Looking into Panama Canal trip for our 30th anniversary. We are in our late 40's and need to go Easter break. There are 3 cruiselines and 4 ships that sail there at this time. Any comments or advice on which one to take would be greatly appreciated.

RCL Brillance of the Seas
Priincess Coral Princess
Celebrity Horizon
Celebrity Galaxy
Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2004, 04:23 PM
pg

Default Re: RCL vs Princess vs Celebrity

Since you are going during Easter break there is the distinct possiblilty of the ships having a lot more kids on it then usaul. On the other side there are not as many families travelling onthe often longer( 10 days) Panama cruises, so it may not be too big of an issue.
I would choose Princess or Celebrity, I believe that RCI is definately a more " family " line and plus I have heard the food is better on the other two lines( I have done Princess , but not Celebrity) .
Age is not really a factor since we are of a similar age group and would choose those either of those two lines.
Compare prices, and ports of call. Good luck and enjoy!
Old September 14th, 2004, 07:58 AM
Admiral

so much depends upons what you are looking for in your cruise experience.
If you are looking for a floating resort hotel with casual elegance -.good food, great service, good activites day and night then i would choose Princess.
If you are looking for more of a "traditional" cruise experience, something a bit refined, with great service, and great food , a bit more laid-back in terms of day and night activities then choose Celebrity
RCL would attract the most kids especially during school breaks, RCL is the most casual of your choices.
You can't go wrong with any of the above choices, just pick which line suits you the best.
Old September 17th, 2004, 07:06 PM
First Mate

i have sailed on all those cruise lines but like celebrity. the feeling that you get on those ships cannot be matched. they might be a little pricer but it is work it. trust me. they have the best food and service of any major cruise line. and between those two ships i would chose the galaxy. it is a better ship. sailed on both.
Old September 18th, 2004, 08:16 AM
Admiral

Of those ships, I would choose the Coral Princess. She is much newer and better appointed than the Horizon or the Galaxy. Also RCCL is just not in the competition with the other three named choices.

Princess has been improving lately and I can't say that for Celebrity or R.C.C.L.
Old September 20th, 2004, 11:09 PM
browezilla

It really depends on your preferences. I've been on Galaxy and Zenith (sister to Horizon), and Sun Princess. I've also been on several RCCL cruises. For me, I'd go with the RCCL. Celebrity is very elegant and refined, but a bit to staid for me. Princess just didn't seem to be quite as elegant as Celebrity, and not as much fun as RCCL. RCCL have very good food, excellent service, the best designed ships, and great entertainment (however, I'm very curious to see how Cirque du Soleil affects Celebrity).
Old September 24th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Beginner

I have done the Panama Canal on Crown Princess (which I think has been sold off now) and it was WONDERFUL!!!!! My husband and I have also done Celebrity ( Century) and RCCL and I can't wait to get back on Princess next year!! We were so spoiled by that Princess Cruise that nothing since has met our expectations. Of course I know that the crew moves around as do the chefs and Cruise Directors......but that cruise had the best of the best!!!! I hope Sun Princess does not let me down next year!!
Old September 27th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Beginner

I have to agree with Peggyann. It really depends on your preferences. I prefer prefer RCCL over Princess any day. RCCL has very good food, execellent service and more beautiful ships, not to mention the best entertainment.
Old September 28th, 2004, 06:11 AM

Like you, we are a couple in our 40's. We have sailed all three lines, and my preference is Celebrity, with Princess an extremely close second, and RCI third, but no slouch either.
Old September 30th, 2004, 10:34 PM
Catherine Walker

We cruised the Panama canal in 1996 on RCCL's Legend of the Seas. It was a new ship at time and our first time cruising with RCCL. We loved it. There is nothing like cruising the canal playing a round of miniature golf!
Old October 1st, 2004, 01:13 PM
LLiebert

I've been on the Coral once and am returning to it in 2 weeks for a Panama Canal trip. It's one of the best ships around!
Old October 4th, 2004, 09:43 AM
MBW

What about a Panama Canal cruise from Galveston? I am having trouble finding which lines said from Texas and when...