Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 14th, 2004, 04:34 PM
PJN77

Default Help with car rentals in St. Thomas and St. Maarten

My husband and I are going on RC Radiance in Dec. and we've been thinking about renting a car (hopefully a jeep or convertible) in both of these ports. We've looked through the excursions and just feel like we'll spend roughly the same for a rental car as we would for the 2 of us on the excursions we'd be interested in. Has anyone done this and can give some advice/tips on agencies to use, convenience of rental counters to the ship, etc. And after we rent it, where should we head from there? We're not big into diving, beaches, etc (we live near the ocean, so we do that at home). We really want to sightsee, maybe find some great shops, eat at a local spot, shoot some great photography...anyone able to help??
Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Help with car rentals in St. Thomas and St. Maarten

not to deter you, but unless you are a very aggressive driver who doesn't mind taking chances then you would be better off to hire a local cabbie for a few hours to tour the islands. St.Thomas - the roads are very, narrow, steep and they wind all over the island, the locals don't belive in turn signals, just the horns, the roads are very crowded.
St. Maarten - the downtown area is very congested, the roads again are very narrow and bumpy, the locals drive on the sidewalks sometimes.
You can hire a local who know the roads and know where to go and what to see probably for less than it would cost to rent a car for the day, without any worries or hassles.- something to think about.
Old September 17th, 2004, 07:03 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Help with car rentals in St. Thomas and St. Maarten

it is not all that bad. I would not do it in St. marteen but last time in St. Thomas we got a car. we rented from Avis which was right across from the pier. i think there is also a budget. the roads are congested at some places but it is not as bad as la for instance. i think you should rent it is cheaper and easier.