Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 20th, 2004, 03:25 PM
DEBBIE FRANGELLA

Default AMERICA'S CUP SAILING REGATTA

WANT TO DO THE AMERICA'S SAILING REGATTA IN ST MAARTEN...HAVE HEARD THIS IS WORTH THE PRICE....NEVER BEEN SAILING...IS IT VERY CHOPPY RIDE...DONT PLAN TO PARTICIPATE IN THE SAIL JUST WANT TO SIT BACK AND ENJOY...WORRIED ABOUT SEA SICKNESS...WILL HAVE THE PATCH ON ALREADY..HOPE THAT WILL TAKE CARE OF THE PROBLEM..DONT WANT TO BE THE ONLY ONE NOT TO GO.. .THANKS FOR INPUT.
Sponsored Links
Old September 20th, 2004, 06:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: AMERICA'S CUP SAILING REGATTA

Hi Debbie,
Yes, it is worth the money and lots of fun and work if you want to do that part. I have heard that it can make some people sea sick, you are in an actual race against another boat. I didn't have any problem, I also was a main grinder, so that was some work, but well worth it, we won! These excursions do fill up quickly, so be sure to book it as soon as your can.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 21st, 2004, 07:51 AM
Admiral

its a fun, fast paced race! the ride can be a bit rough as you are cutting back and forth in the water and the sailboat will be "healing" which means that the boat will be leaning at an angle. you get so caught up in the fun and action that there is no time to get woozie
Old September 24th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Passenger

Its a great time. I highly recomend it. The gift shop after is expensive but be sure to buy somthing or you will regret it latter.

Buff
Old September 24th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: AMERICA'S CUP SAILING REGATTA

We did this 2 years ago and loved it. Definitely tell your "captain" if you don't want to do work. We thought we could kind of sit back and enjoy the ride, but they need people to run the sails and it can be some pretty good work. If possible, be the "assistant captain", or "official photographer". We were lucky enough to have someone on board who didn't work and filmed the whole thing. We paid him $10, he got all of our addresses and sent us the video!

Anyway, it's very fun, I would recommend it. I didn't think it was and up and down kind of ride that might make me sick, but you do some leaning -- which I thought was fun.
Old September 24th, 2004, 06:45 PM
kcool

totally awesome, you HAVE to do it. it was great.
Old September 25th, 2004, 08:03 AM
debp

Since you haven't sailed before, it is probably worth it. My husband and son loved it. I didn't see much difference in a regular sail and this trip. Everyone on our ship worked except two. I think the excursion is a little overpriced for the experience. Yes, people do get see sick on this one. Take Bonine before you go. It is not like a catamaran sail to snorkel.