Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 22nd, 2004, 06:20 PM
kcool

Default rccl western carrib.

hi, i'm sailing solo to jamaica, camen islands and cozamel. nov.14 any suggestions for shore excursions? thanks, kevin
Sponsored Links
Old September 23rd, 2004, 10:35 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: rccl western carrib.

If its your first time to these places: Jamaica-climb Dunns River Falls. If you get to Cayman (a big if by the way thanks to Ivan) Stingray City is the popular one, Cozumel: scuba or snorkel is popular, beaches and ruins on the mainland (an all day trip mostly on a bus and a trip on a ferry) are popular.

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old September 23rd, 2004, 03:04 PM
kcool

Default Re: Re: rccl western carrib.

thank you alison for your info. have you ever cruised solo before? this will be my second time. hope it goes better than the first. bye. kevin
Old September 24th, 2004, 07:50 AM
Admiral

kevin, so much depends upon what you like to do. Dunns River Falls in Jamaica is great fun, there are also river tubing and rafting tours that are very good.
Grand Caymen - Sting Ray City & Sandbar are the most popular tours - we loved it. Caymen might be iffy as a port of call since it sustained some major damage from Ivan.
Cozumel- beaches, snorkeling. If you like to snorkel or want to try it this is the place. Book a ships tour out to the Palencaar Reef- amazing snorkeling and its very easy. There are also plenty of great beaches to choose from. If you want to do a dolphin swim you do that at Channnkaab National Park - books up fast, book it now. If you want to exlpore Mayan Ruins you can do that to.
Old September 24th, 2004, 08:46 AM
Yeoman

Kevin-Ive always family cruised, but when I was younger did a lot of excursions on my own (mainly scuba diving since Im the only one who dives in the family). I did travel a lot on my own too. What happened the first time, if I may ask?

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old September 24th, 2004, 04:29 PM
Passenger

If you're going solo try to go to the singles events. The have a cocktail at the first night at rccl, so you be able to meet others singles. I did that in my first cruise and I met nice people and I'm sure I wouldn't met them if I didn't atend the 'single party". Also as people here at cruisemates/singles.
Good luck!
Old September 25th, 2004, 06:18 PM
kcool

Default Re: Re: rccl western carrib.

hi alison, i did have a good time on my first cruise solo. i was a little scared and lonely, but did meet two women who were related, and they took me under there wing for a few days, and we did have a great time. nothing romanticly. i would take the same thing this time. just hope i can fit in with some nice people. meeting a nice women would be a plus. thanks for writing me. kevin
Old September 25th, 2004, 11:45 PM
Aloha512

Hi Kevin-

Just wanted to offer you some words of encouragement and to wish you a wonderful cruise. I sailed solo 3 weeks ago and was very apprehensive, but was lucky enough to meet up with another woman who was also cruising alone. I really enjoyed the freedom of doing things on my own schedule and having my own room was fantastic! I enjoyed the experience so much that I have booked another cruise in December by myself and this one might be a little trickier, because it is on the NCL Dawn and they have freestyle cruising, which means no table mates at dinner. Would love to have a cruise buddy, if you're up to another cruise in December!

Went to Ocho Rios and Montego Bay in Jamaica. Jamaica is a beautiful island, with a very unique culture. Yes went to Dunn's River Falls, took one look and said Hell, no! . Just be sure to tour around the island- so incredibly lush and tropical.

Best wishes,
Aloha
Old October 3rd, 2004, 07:32 PM
Admiral

Kevin, be sure to register for the Royal Caribbean Meet & Mingle for your cruise. People who will be sailing with you will be talking and planning for their great cruise up until you set sail. The critics who love cruising have worked with RCI to sponser this free event. If you don't know the cruisecrit@@.com forum, just do a search. My next cruise we have 113 people already registered from around the world. We also plan to meet before the Life Boat drill. As far as Ochio Rios, the sailing tour to Dunns River usually gets a lot of fun people but there are great private tour operators like Belinda at a-zjamaicaplanner, Phil Lafayette and Peat Taylor who have organized tour to the Falls, Fern Gully and river tubing. We all hope Grand Cayman will open back up for tourists, but we must just wait and see. Nativeway is ready to welcome private tour guests for Sting Ray city snorkeling. At Cozumel, Paradise Beach Club has free entry as does Mr. Sancho's. Food and Drink are great on this beautiful Mexican shore.
Bon Voyage