Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 5th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Beginner

Default Ochos Rios and Georgetown, Grand Cayman

Hi...new to the board here.
Am going on RCCL Enchantment of the Seas in March 2005 - 5 night cruise to Ochos Rios and Georgetown.
My boyfriend and I are all about relaxation on our vacations. We definitely want to get off the ship at both ports but don't want to go on some 4 hour long excursion.
In Ochos Rios I imagine Dunns River Falls is a must? I read somewhere we can get their on our own via a taxi for pretty cheap. Anyone recommend doing this? I think after that I may just want to hit a beach somewhere or maybe check out Margaritaville for lunch. I've heard it's fun there and they have a small beach area where you can sit out and relax.
As for Georgetown - I'm not at all interested in most excursions. I don't snorkel b/c I get panic attacks when doing so : ) I'm not interested in seeing the turtle farm. Again I think I'm really looking to just hit the beach and relax that day. Find somewhere for a nice lunch. RCCL offers an excurions here for hitting some hotel on the 7 mile beach. It doesn't mention which hotel but I'm thinking of doing that. Does anyone know do all the big hotels not allow access to their beaches from cruise people?
Really I'm just looking to have lunch out in both ports and do some shopping and relaxing. The only thing I do want to do besides that is Dunns River Falls.
Any comments or suggestions on my plans would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Ochos Rios and Georgetown, Grand Cayman

We went on this same 5 night cruise this past April. It was great. You are gonna love it!

Definately go to Dunns Falls. We went with Peat Taylor. He picked us up at the ship and we were the first group to the Falls. By the time we left, there was a very long line of people waiting to come in. We, on the other hand, had the whole place to ourselves! Bring water shoes! No flip-flops or sneakers. Water shoes are a must. THe falls are very slippery. And bring a waterproof camera. I wore nylon shorts over my bathing suit bottom. Which I was very glad I did! I felt more comfortable because you really have to climb those rocks!

In Grand Cayman, we had nothing planned. Once we were onshore (they bring you in by these smaller boats), there are plenty of tour operators waiting for you. We just went with someone holding up a sign for 7 Mile Beach. They filled up a little van and brought us to a public beach. The beach was pretty nice w/facilities and a bar. When you wanted to leave, you just go back to where the van left you and there are plenty of vans bringing people back into town. It was $6 each way per person. I"m sure you will find these guys waiting for tourist on your cruise as well. Once back in town, we shopped and went to the Hard Rock for a snack and some tropical drinks!

Have fun!
Old October 6th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Beginner

Thanks so much for getting back to me!
Sounds great - I'm really looking forward to this cruise.
I will def. do Dunns River...and I've heard a lot about that Pete Taylor so I will look into him!
And sounds good about Grand Cayman too...thank you!
Old October 6th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Yeoman

I agree with lindains post, sounds good, we just took a txi to Dunns ourselves, cheaper than a tour.
Seven Mile beach was awesome!
Old October 7th, 2004, 09:41 AM
First Mate

Lots of good spots near Ocho Rios.
Duns in beautiful and well worth doing.

Maybe a trip to the Firehole..a natural phenonomon...its a hot spring that the guys light and you get a massge in the 'flaming water'. (email for pics) they also cook the community pot of the spring.

Bob Marleys Nine Mile is also a good trip, there are much better places to eat than Margarittaville, and some great places to get shoping.

James Bond Beach is also a very nice spot. It has 2 private beaches, Moonraker bar & gill, jet ski rides, eco trail and beach horse rides, glass bottom boats ect.

Maybe a trip to a local school to donate some supplies (see the community page on sealawncoralbeach.com )

And for the best prices hassle free driver, who goes where you want at your pace try Chef Tours at cheftours2000@yahoo.com.

you can email if you would like more info

Old October 12th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Beginner

I have also heard great things about Chef, you can't go wrong with him. I have another driver that I used my whole week in Ocho Rios in September. You can e-mail me if you would like his contact info. Another good point that was made above. If you hire a private driver to pick you up from the ship, you will get to Dunn's River (or other attractions) ahead of the crowd. Much more enjoyable that way, in my opinion.
Old December 26th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Ken COhen

Default Re: Re: Ochos Rios and Georgetown, Grand Cayman

Hi, any one know whether there is a large taxi or minivan to take family of two adults and three children from pier to Dunn's River in Ochos Rios? If so, any one know what they paid or what they believe the price is? I hear there is a shuttle. Is this a good option?
Thanks
ken
Old December 26th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Admiral

Grand Cayman; the Hurricane IVan recked this beautiful island and its beach front hotels. Hopefully by March, the vegetation will be back in bloom and the ruble and debris cleaned up. Seven Mile beach was not what it used to be at all, which was really sad. They still rent lounges across the street from the Courtyard hotel which used to be the Holiday Inn. I know that hotel was to re-open in December. Don't buy the cruise lines tour ticket to 7 Mile beach as it is a rip off. You still have to take a taxi which is really easy once you get off the tender. You can rent a lounge chair if you wish at the beach.
Ochio Rios; I don't recommend that you go it alone. Peat Taylor, Belinda, **Agency name deleted for violation of no advertising policy**, Phil Lafayette are all great tour providers who will give you a grand tour, Dunn's River, inc. lunch etc. for just a half day for much less $$ than the ship tours. Personnally I have used Belinda's company twice and have been very pleased. Compare what each has to offer and what you would like to do while in port.
Bon Voyage
Old December 26th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Admiral

Ken, you certainly can get a van to take you to the falls and it is usually about $4-$5pp round trip, You pay when you get back to the ship. It is also nice to tip well and be friendly to the driver as they can do a lot for you. Do not go through the marketplace at Dunns Falls, they are too aggressive there for most people, especially first-timers of kids or the timid. The downtown strawmarket is much better IMHO.
Jim

Old December 27th, 2004, 06:18 AM
Ken COhen

Default Re: Re: Ochos Rios and Georgetown, Grand Cayman

Jim, Thanks for the quick responses, don't mean to question you, but really $5 round trip per person, not even one way? Sounds great.
Ken
Old December 27th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Admiral

TIP - in Jamaica MAKE SURE that you use the Government Bonded taxis- do not use the "gypsy" drivers. The government taxis are clearly marked.
Old December 27th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Admiral

We did so by walking out the gate and picking up a van that was just outside the Margaritaville entrance. Those inside the gate may be more.
Jim