Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 11th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Yeoman

Default snorkeling in st. john/st.marteen

Hi,

We are not sailing until May, but we're already excited and deciding what to do in port. Does anyone have suggestions for the BEST snorkeling in St. John and St. Marteen? Has anyone been to Cinnamon Bay or Trunk Bay in St. John and which do you prefer? And is St. Marteen more the lounging around the beach island or is it also good for snorkeling?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: snorkeling in st. john/st.marteen

Hi Cathy,
We've been to Trunk Bay in St. Johns a few times and love it. The beach is picture postcard beautiful and some good snokeling as well. As for St. Maarten, they do have some nice beaches, we did like Orient beach, although its next door to a nudist beach, but still lots of water activities and places to eat and plenty of lounge chairs to relax in. You can simply take a cab there, plenty of cabs waiting to take you back to port too.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 11th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Passenger

Trunk bay is great, but the ride to and from takes a lot of time.
Old October 12th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: snorkeling in st. john/st.marteen

Thanks! Is it the Ferry ride that is so long? AND is there much of a chance of getting sea sick on the ferry? We had a terrible ferry ride going from cozumel to tolum this spring - most of the ferry was sick! Do we need to budget about 1 1/2 hours including taxis and ferry ride?
Old October 12th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Re: snorkeling in st. john/st.marteen

Yes, the ferry ride is at least half an hour and it could get bumpy. I had no problem, but it was pretty smooth.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 12th, 2004, 09:52 PM
First Mate

We went to Trunk Bay last Feb. DH can't snorkle due to eye problems, but I loved the snorkle "trail" and clear water. He relaxed on the beach while I snorkled and it was the best of both worlds. It was an RCI excursion and not too expensive. The excursion boat was late picking us up at St. John's, but the ship waited for us and we didn't miss dinner. It was a super day.

Explorer E. Carib. 1/12/02
Explorer w. Carib. 1/18/03
Summit Alaska cruise/tour 8/3/03
Adventure S. carib. 2/8/04
Galaxy Panama Canal 2/3/05
Old October 13th, 2004, 09:14 AM
Admiral

Cathy, Cinnamon Bay is basically next-door to Trunk Bay. Its not nearly as crowded, no admission charge, you can rent snorkel gear, floats and sunfish type sailboats. The snorkeling is really good, you have to swim out a bit to a small cay(island) to really see the fish and coral. The sand is silky white and the water turquoise. There is a nice outdoor patio/grill to grab lunch. Trunk Bay is too touristy and crowded for us, all the ships excursions end up here.
The ferry ride can be a bit choppy and bumpy, if you are prone to it,it might be a good idea to take some Bonine just in case.

St.Maarten - couple of good choices - you can book a snorkel excursion over to Pineal Island and snorkel there, or you can book an excursion on the-Golden Eagle Catamaran you sail over to the island of Tintamar(nature preserve) you can swim, relax on the beach, go for a walk. They feed the fish here, there are people who will direct you to the best areas for snorkeling, the fish go crazy when its feeding time.
Old October 13th, 2004, 02:50 PM
Yeoman

Lisa,
That's great information. It does make me a bit nervous about missing the ship from St. John's, but I guess we can end the day there a little early and finish it out by shopping on St. Thomas while we wait for out time to board - we usually try to get the most out of the ports that we can! Thanks!
Cathy
Old October 14th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Admiral

Cathy - its all about planning your time- the ferries leave from Cruz Bay(St.John) every hour on the hour, the ride is about 30 minutes and then its about another 20 minute cab ride back to the pier in St. Thomas. We go to the beach in the morning, and do our sightseeing/shopping in the afternoon.
Old October 14th, 2004, 07:23 PM
hcat

We took an excursion to St John & snorkeled at trunk Bay It was really fantastic. The trip over was a bit loopy & I was really getting queasy. I made it OK but would skip breakfast next time--Trip home was much smoother dfor some reason...but it is worth the trip to experience this beautiful park--it is lovely in & out of the water. Don;t miss it!
Old October 15th, 2004, 06:59 AM
Beginner

Hi
Is it possible to walk along the beach from Trunk Bay to Cinnamon Bay.
Thanks
Old October 17th, 2004, 04:09 PM
catie

Hi Cathy,
We went to St. Thomas then took an excursion with RCI to St. John (trunk bay). We had a great time and it was some of the most beautiful senery i have ever seen. Because the excursion took a while we had little time to see St. Thomas, but we still had a great time and loved the experience. It is also a great place for all ages. i am a teenager and my brother, father, and grandmother all had a great time and none of us got sea sick. Sounds like you have done a lot of research so i know that you will have a great time.

Wishing you luck on your cruise catie
Old October 18th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Passenger

Cathie,
unless you are so much into snorkling!..go to Coki beach has for all beach fun/snorkling/very clean water and still have plenty of time for Main street shopping...
Take taxi to coki beach and plenty waiting for you to get back to ship or shopping...
Old October 20th, 2004, 08:37 AM
Beginner

If transport time to St. John's is an issue, check out Creole Rock on Grand Case beach on the french side. Great snorkeling.