Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 18th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Thoth

Default Middleham Falls hike or Trafalgar by bus in Dominica

Nest spring I'm planning on visiting Dominica from the Destiny. Of those who have visited that Island, which do YOU like better, Emerald Pool & Trafalgar Falls by bus or a hike to Middleham Falls. I'm into hiking but appreciate other's input. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2004, 03:58 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Middleham Falls hike or Trafalgar by bus in Dominica

Emerald Pool and Trafalger falls are the two "big" sights on an island without a lot of "big " sights.
You will spend a whole lot of time in a van, driving on ridiculously steep wet roads to see the two sights. Emerald Pool involves a downhill"hike" to see what is essentially a
pond fed by a small waterfall. It might be "romantic " or something if it wasn't for the heat, the crowds and the fact that it is just not THAT nice. Then you have to hike back up the trail, run the gauntlet of souvenir vendors and get back on the bus.
Trafalger Falls is way up in the mountains in a rain forest. Be prepared , it will usually rain at some point. The hike here is uphill on a rough trail to a viewing point. Short photo op. Then back down the trail. A lot of bus time and hiking, and you will probably be underwhelmed by it all.
Don't plan on swimming at Emerald Pool, there is a strong risk of Ghiardia bacteria. Don't plan on climbing to the base of the falls. There is a strong risk of injury even with a "guide".
If they are offering some water based excursions like whale watching (depends on season) or snorkelling, these are probably a better bet.
Just my opinion.
Old October 19th, 2004, 03:08 AM
Thoth

Thank you Papa Bill. Looks like I'll stick with the Middlham falls hike, but there is plenty of time to consider.
Old October 21st, 2004, 04:59 PM
Matt York

My wife & I have been to Dominica numerous times and it is probably our favorite island. As for deciding between Middleham Falls, Trafalgar Falls or the Emerald Pool, I say do them all. There are no cruise excursions that will take you to all of three, but we have a tour guide named Angus Tavernier that we schedule when we are down there. Not only has he taken us on this exact tour, but he hikes and guides you all the way to the falls instead of sitting in his car waiting for you like the rest of the cab drivers do. The best part is that you will probably pay less than you would have for one the cruise ship tours. It's the only way to go. A couple of other "must see" places are La Champagne Reef (snorkel), Sari Sari Falls and Titou Gorge.

Examples of day trips from cruise ships that Angus has taken us on are as follows:

Trafalgar Falls - Nice, but crowded
Emerald Pool - Nice, but crowded
La Champagne - Very cool on a clear day

Middleham Falls - Great hike and very cool waterfall
Trafalgar Falls
Emerald Pool
Sulpher Springs - O.K. hike, but springs are anti-climactic

Sari-Sari Falls - Better than Middleham, but longer hike
Titou Gorge - Very cool
Emerald Pool
La Champagne - It was a clear day

If memory serves me right, we had (4) people on each of the tours and it only cost $40-50 per person each time (plus a large tip which was justly deserved). If you would like to schedule something in advance let me know & I will dig up his cel phone number for you.
Old October 21st, 2004, 11:22 PM
Thoth

Thanks Matt York for your response. Right now i don't know what I'll do, but since I'm a solo traveler chances are I'll be sticking to one the prepackaged ship's tours. Instant group! Carnival offers a Middleham Falls hike which is under $50. If i had to choose today that would be my first choice.
Old October 29th, 2004, 10:19 PM
elationismyship

Trafalgar Falls was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen - and I've been on 8 cruises and many tours. I highly recommend it.
Old November 10th, 2004, 03:28 PM
First Mate

You can still do this on your own. there are many tour guides on the island. We booked with retno tours last year and had the best time. We visited trafalgar falls which was fantastic, Titou george, the coolest part of the trip for us and Emerald pool all inthe same afternoon and still had time to look around town and snorkel near the ship. Just contact a guide and tell them your a solo. They will book you with an other group which is what is going to happen if you do it throught the ship. But.... you will see way more and so less. Well worth the time. You can e-mail reynotours@hotmail.com or Ken Hinterland tours, they have a web sight. I read all these boards 2 years ago and settled on Reyno and could not have been happier.
Hope you have a great time.