Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 19th, 2004, 12:29 PM
mindy frohlich

Default st.martin, st.thomas 9yo, 42yo, 65yo

Hi to my fellow lucky cruisers. On Nov 7, 2004, my mom, me and my 9 year old daughter are cruising on the Radiance. I am looking for Royal Caribbean excersions or other safe & fun things to do in St.Martin & St.Thomas. We like the ocean but not shopping. We want to snorkel from the SHORELINE at least once. Also, do you think there will be many other children on the ship at that time??? Thank you for responding. Mindy
Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2004, 02:34 PM
Admiral

Default Re: st.martin, st.thomas 9yo, 42yo, 65yo

In St Thomas, take a cab to Coki Beach. All facilities are available and there is nice easy snorkelling right off the beach (lot's of fish on the Coral World end of the beach, a little more underwater color off the far end of the beach. Your nine year old might also enjoy Coral World, a paid attraction, right next door.
In St Martin, take a cab to Dawn Beach. A lovely, family beach. Just enough facilities and none of the cruise ship crowds.
Old October 19th, 2004, 03:37 PM
catie

Hi i am a 15 year old and have been to both ports. In St. Thomas we took the excursion that went to st. john and trunk bay. it was so beautiful and a great experience. It had a snorkel "trail" that made it easy to find what kind of fish was around. The only thing is that if anyone gets seasick you have to take a fairy over there, however no one on our fairy got seasick. I think your daughter would love this excursion because i saw a few small girls on the same excursion and loved it. Also, make sure that if you want to see st. thomas you budjet your time because we did not have a lot of time to explore the island itself. i also went with my dad who is in his 40s and my elderly grandmother and they both loved it.

in st. marteen we just explored the island so i cant give you much advice there, sorry.

about many children being on the cruise at thet time, there will always be children on the cruise, and i dont know if you have been on a RCI ship before but i have been on 3 and going on my 4th, and they have a great program for kids. i have anly cruised during winter and there were many children, so i dont think there is any problem there/

i hope i have been helpful, and i know that everyone will have a great time. the ports you are going to are BEAUTIFUL and trunks bay is the most beautiful place i have ever seen, in fact i think that in a magazine it was rated on of the 10 most beautiful beaches in the world.

have a great time and if you have any more questions just post them Catie
Old October 19th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Passenger

Hi Mindy,

My family will also be on the Radiance on 11/07. I have an 11 year old son and three other teenagers coming. We have been to St. Thomas before, but this will be our first trip to St. Martin. Last time we were in St. Thomas we went to Coki Beach. It was very nice and DH and kids had a great time snorkling. We are going to try Trunk Bay this time. In St. Martin we are renting a car (there are several agencies at the pier from what I've seen on the internet) and will spend some time at Dawn Beach. Although I've heard Orient Beach should not be missed, I don't think my teenage boys need all that exposure, if you know what I mean .

Hope to see you there.
Dalene

Radiance of the Sea 11/7/04
Sapphire Princess 10/1/05
Old October 20th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: st.martin, st.thomas 9yo, 42yo, 65yo

For those of you worried about Orient Beach, the nude area is confined to one end of the beach and you can keep your family away from that.
You should be aware however that virtually all beaches on St Martin will have some European tourists and as such you MAY see topless sunbathing on almost any beach (French or Dutch side of the island). Do not let this spoil your enjoyment of these areas. It will not scar your children for life.
Old October 20th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Yeoman

BTW everyone, nude or topless beaches are NOT filled with "hot young babes" your child may be scarred for life, but it will be the image of a 70 yr in a thong and topless that sticks in my mind!(lol) The europeons do have a different take on nudity, but it is not our ( North American) take, we think it is all sexy girls, ha ha, we saw a gentleman well past the age of knowing better wearing a thong, and his saggy but drooped all the way down to his knees( ) , now we didn't care, we actually had a chuckle and thought, " wow that guy is brave" so trust me a teenage boy may see things, but it isn't all "spring break hotties at the beach" ( More likey he will see a true womens body, a good solid 40 or 50 yr old after having a couple of kids), a TRUE representation of what a woman looks like,not his playboy fantasies!!
Old October 20th, 2004, 03:00 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: st.martin, st.thomas 9yo, 42yo, 65yo

Thanks for the reminders. I lived in Rota Spain for a couple of years and saw plenty of European sunbathing there! The nice thing about renting a car is that we can try both beaches. I had read a few other reviews that said even though the nude beach was confined at one end it didn't seem to stay there, but we will go with an open mind and try Orient Beach also.

Thanks for the input!

Radiance of the Sea 11/7/04
Sapphire Princess 10/1/05