Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 23rd, 2004, 03:04 PM
Jan PG

Default Tulum vs Coba

I will be on the Westerdam in December - since we won't be in Cozumel long enough to go to Chichen Itza, I have to decide between Tulum or Coba. Anyone been to either place and have thoughts or recommendations on which one to see?
Sponsored Links
Old October 23rd, 2004, 04:17 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Tulum vs Coba

2 VERY different ruins:
Coba: older ruin, very Mayan, not fully excavated. Various buildings except for the ones at the entrance are widely separated. I recommend renting a bicycle or taking a ped-cab. You will not be able to see everything.
Tulum: newer ruin, pretty much fully excavated, much less extensive than Coba. You can see all of Tulum within 2 hours. It is beautifully located on cliffs overlooking the ocean. There are 2 small beaches where you can swim if you like. Tulum is closer to PDC
Which would I recommend: My personal preference is Coba BUT I am a history major and very interested in Mayan ruins. If time is a factor, do Tulum.
Old October 23rd, 2004, 08:32 PM
Jan PG

Default Re: Re: Tulum vs Coba

Thank you for the reply - I too am a history major so think I agree with you on Coba. I'm on a shore excursion which is 7-8 hours total - so counting transfer time I'm guessing a few hours - no more than 4.
Old October 26th, 2004, 02:12 AM
Thoth

Default Re: Tulum vs Coba

I have visited 3 Mayan ruins parks, San Gervasio (on Cozumel itself), Tulum, and Uxmal. To me at least each one has its own charm. There are 3 downers to Tulum, poor restrooms( at least in 2001), little if any shade, and the ropes around buildings. That said it was still very much worth the trip.