CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (
-   Caribbean & Panama Canal (
-   -   Panama Canal December 2004 (

Beauchamp November 3rd, 2004 06:41 AM

Panama Canal December 2004
My partner and I are sailing on Galaxy 18-30 December this year and chose this trip because the Panama Canal is on the itinerary. However, we're wondering what is the best way to see the sights. The ship goes into Lake Gatun from the Caribbean and back out again. Is it better to stay on the ship or to take one of the shore excursions, eg the coast to coast train, or even the ferry from Balboa back into the canal. Has anyone got any advice? Many thanks.

Sulross November 3rd, 2004 07:16 AM

Re: Panama Canal December 2004
I went to the Panama Canal last November on RCL from Galveston, Tx for a 12 day cruise. We sailed into the lake from the Atlantic side and tendered off the boat in the lake and took an excursion to Panama City. When we came back the ship and gone back through the locks it just came from and docked in Cristobol Pier where we got back on. I would highly recommened taking a tour of some kind rather than staying on the ship and watching the same thing you just did in reverse.

beauchamp November 4th, 2004 06:36 AM

Re: Panama Canal December 2004

Thanks for that information.

The Hills November 5th, 2004 01:34 AM

Re: Re: Panama Canal December 2004
One suggestion is to take a tour that includes the cable car ride. You climb up a tour which shows you a great view of the canal. Our tour incuded a butterfuly aviary with hunderds of beautiful butterflies.

The Hills
Ottawa, Canada