Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 6th, 2004, 05:36 AM
Passenger

Default Embera indians in Panama

I am looking for information about the trip to the rain forest to visit the Embera Indians. We will be sailing on the Coral Princess Nov. 10th. One of our side trips will be a trip up a river to visit the Embera Indians. I know that you must ride in a dugout canoe to get there. I got to thinking about this after looking at some pictures on the net. It is very primitive and I whether or not there are any toilet facilities anywhere along the way and I also wondered how hard the walk is going into the forest to look at the trees and plants. I would like to take a few treats along for the children and would love any suggestions . I am also taking a bag of loose beads and needles they could use for making their baskets (for the ladies). Any help on this would be VERY much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2004, 08:05 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Embera indians in Panama

I would imagine this culture is very similar to the Cuna Indians just off Panama on the San Blas Islands. If so, they are a fascinating people. The Cuna women and a very few men do beautiful stitchery pieces called "Molas." They are layers and layers of cloth intricately cut and semn to make magnificent folk art designs.

It always pays to take some T.P. just in case. I'm sure they will have some form of primative facilities though.

In San Blas the poverty was quite prevalent. We found that money was always appreciated. Also we smuggled yogurts and fruit off the ship and they were quite pleased to get them.I'm sure the kids would like anything you might give them, especially little treats and money.
Old November 6th, 2004, 10:14 PM
The Hills

Default Re: Embera indians in Panama

Our family was on the Carnival Legend in March 2004 and took a trip to see the Embara Indians. The trip included a visit to the Butterfly Aviary and it was great. The Embara Indians sell baskets and make beaded braclets and necklaces which they sell for very reasonable prices. My kids thought it was great adn were amazed at the straw huts in which they live. There was also an amphibian display and some reptiles etc on display. Excellant tour for kids.

There is also a Aerial Tram Ride which provides a terrific view of the canal. The walk up to the top is a set of wooden walkways that circle up to the top so not difficult. Can't beat the view!

Just a note that when you get off your ship there may be some Embara Indians women with little or not clothing on top playing music by the ship. Our kids were quite surprised!

The Hills
Ottawa, Canada
Old November 7th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Embera indians in Panama

That sounds like a great excursion. So much for my theory.