Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 8th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Passenger

Default Dunns River Falls

We are leaving Monday on a cruise and will be going to Dunns River Falls. Does anyone know if you are allowed to carry backpacks/bags if you climb the falls? We want to take pictures. We have a digital camera and have a waterproof bag to carry it in. Will we be allowed to carry the bag? Should we not take our digital camera and just go with a toss away kind for our climb? We will also be going to Dolphin Cove and Brimmer Hall Plantation and want to take pictures there with our digital camera. We are not real keen on leaving the camera on a bus while we climb the falls. Even if we don't use the digital camera at the falls, we want to be able to carry it with us.
Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Dunns River Falls

Hi Shelley,
The guide will be happy to carry your camera, they carried ours and we didn't have it in a plastic bag. He even took pics with our camera. Anything else you carry up the falls will more than likely get wet, so limit anything you carry, nothing is the best. We did leave all our other things on the bus, they did leave the bus locked, so everything was safe. Of course if you do want to carry your camera and its safe from water, you could, but they do have you hold hands on the way up, so you'll need to have your hands free.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 9th, 2004, 07:23 AM
Passenger

We bought a water camera with us - specifically for this tour. The guide took great pictures of us with it. You will be soaked from head to toe, so don't bring anything with you during your climb. You will be given a locker to put your stuff in. MAKE SURE you bring watershoes. The rocks are so slippery. Sneakers or flip-flops won't do! I wore a pair of shorts over my bathsuit. This was a great excursion. Enjoy!
Old November 10th, 2004, 02:46 PM
cricket55

As the other said, you will get wet so I wouldn't carry anything you don't want to get wet. You tend to slip and slide a lot and there are times when you step into a deep pool without realizing it's going to happen. I would definitely be wary of carrying a digital camera and if you are carrying it in a waterproof bag, make sure it's VERY waterproof. Also, as the other post said, be SURE to bring watershoes as it's very slippery at times. You will thoroughly enjoy it though, it was a great experience. It's a lot higher climb than it looks from the bottom, at times it seems like it will go on forever but it's a great "workout" and loads of fun. Do bring a waterproof camera for the photo opps, we did and they turned out pretty good without the worry of wrecking an expensive digital camera.
Old November 10th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Sama20

Have you booked a tour guide to tour you guys!!!!!!!!!
Old November 10th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Luci

As a natural wonder, Dunn's River Falls has got to be both one of the most aesthetically pleasing and accessible. And with a careful footing, and a little confidence you, too, can 'survive' Dunn's.

For those who are not too aware of it, you basically walk up a long and winding waterfall by foot. The waterfall leads to a beautiful beach. You should have some good waterproof shoes, preferably ones that give you a good grip.For those who do not like being bombarded by locals offering to sell their handicrafts, I suggest you booked a tour guide. We book a man called Orville Taylor **Url Deleted** he was wonderful. It was quite the adventure.
Old November 10th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Passenger

Thanks everyone.

We booked the tour through the ship.
Old November 11th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Admiral

as the others have told you, the guides will hold your camera for you. You really need your hands-free to climb. I would be afraid that the digital would suffer some damage from possible bumping and banging on the rocks. The guides stop at key spots for photo opportunities, they hold up a camera, '"whose is this" and they take your picture for you. Another option for the camera - if it has a good zoom is to have one member of your group who might be a little leary of climbing the actual falls, walk up the pathway and stairs that line the falls to get some great pictures.
Old November 12th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to pixseal

I'm a photographic "nut" who will be climbing Dunns River Falls in a couple of weeks. I was thinking of buying a waterproof/shockproof box to put my camera in (inside of an ok-to-get-wet backpack). ...or should I just buy a "disposable" waterproof camera?

I consider myself fit and a 600' climb is nothing to me, nor is a few pounds on my back.. I guess the real questions are: (1) is there a view at the top? (2) is the climb scenic? (3) will I have an opportunity to pull aside, take out my camera and use it?

Old November 12th, 2004, 06:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Plano97

The entrance to the park and the Falls is the TOP of the Falls. To climb, you walk to the bottom of the Falls where it meets the beach and climb up. There are plenty of stops along the way for you to take a breather and take pictures. There is nothing that is stoping you from climbing the Falls yourself (except may be the park entrance fee).

What I did was to take a taxi from the ship to the Falls, pay the entrance fee, rent a locker to put my stuff in, then climb the Falls myself. There is only one way up; just follow all the people being guided (whom paid alot more than you) to the top. If you bring a digital camera, beware that more than likely you will bang it against the rocks and
it and YOU will definitely get wet. Just buy a waterproof camera. And don't forget some
type of nonslip shoes.
Old November 16th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Luci

The ship is much more expensive than a personal tourguide. Compare the cost of paying $15 for the tour and the ship rates.
Old November 18th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Luci

Dunn's River Falls is a great place to go and is pretty and it is a lot of fun to climb the. I can't help but say you should still go because it is fun but I just wish the word had never gotten out
Old December 26th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Ken COhen

Default Re: Re: Dunns River Falls

When you say, you can suddenly come across a deep pool, is it EVER more than 3 feet,? 4 feet? One of the kids can't swim.
Thanks
Ken
Old December 26th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Admiral

No, it is all pretty shallow and I don't remember anything over 3' deep
Jim

Old December 27th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Yeoman

The falls are fun and the kids will have less trouble then you( as long as they are at least 6 years old) . kids can scramble up them quite easily ( as long as they are normal fit kids) .

We highly recommend going on your own, you can hire a guide to actually lead you up the falls when you are there and then you just taxi or shuttle it back to the ship. Way cheaper and just as safe as the ship shore ex. remember they use the same guides at the falls as you do.
Old December 27th, 2004, 06:13 PM
Passenger

I was there 5 days ago and the water was extra deep and more coming down. I think maybe it was due to the facti that it had been pouring all morning. Anyway I am almost 50 and not in good shape at all and I was able to do it. I had water shoes and a nice strong man in front of me helped pull me up the steep parts. It was worth it and I feel ike I truly accomplished something Great fun !!!!
Old December 29th, 2004, 01:58 PM
sarvogs

Can anybody tell me if they allow babies on the Dunns River? We have a front carrier for her and that's where my husband will be carrying her, but I'm assuming this excursion might be too dangerous to carry her along?
Old December 30th, 2004, 11:06 AM
Admiral

No, do not even think about trying to carry a baby up the falls. You can safely walk alongside the falls and watch others.
Jim