Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 10th, 2004, 09:13 PM
JWB

Default Belize & malaria???

We've booked a boat cruise and Wildlife Sanctuary tour in Belize. Then heard that the CDC in Atlanta suggests malaria medication if traveling outside Belize City. What do y'all think? Who's been there, done that, and didn't get malaria???
Also - has anyone done this cruise and is it good? We have a group of 12 ages 3-65. The kids really wanted to see a rainforest, and some of the native animals. I'd love some heads up info!
Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2004, 07:18 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy
Default Re: Belize & malaria???

We were in Belize in April 2004 and did the cave tubing trip. We walked through the rainforest for about 45 min and didn't see any bugs. We did use repellent before we went in just in case. I bought it in wipe form at Walmart. There were 5 of us and none of us got malaria.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old November 11th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Admiral

Ditto- Cave tubing, rain forest and no health problems here!
Old November 11th, 2004, 09:12 PM
davidnnc

We were in Belize last year and did the cave tubing. We uses repellant and I do not think either us ever got bit by anything. However, if you want to donate blood, the Red Cross will not accept your donation if you tell them you have been to Belize, atleast that was our experience. I think if you use repellant, you will not have any problems. The cave tubing was great fun.
Old November 11th, 2004, 10:17 PM
JWB

Thanks for the answers! We have a couple of kids who are mosquito magnets, but the rest of us aren't real worried. I think if we spray and maybe wear longs sleeves/pants we'll be fine. Have y'all been in November? How hot should it be then?
Old November 14th, 2004, 01:37 PM
First Mate

We were just there in October and did a similar tour. It was a boat ride throught the rain forest, lunch at a village and a bus ride to the wildlife rufuge. I did not see one bug but something was biting me. My husband, mother and father did not get one bite. No malaria though!!!!! But I am the type if there is a bug it will find me. We did see lots of wildlife in the rain forest such as monkeys, crocodiles, dolphins, manatees, iquanas, blue heron and lots of different wildlife in the refuge. It was just wonderful!! The only thing was we had no rain gear and it did rain almost the whole time. This got to be long for some of the children and for my father who has alzheimers. He did not like the fact that he was getting wet even though it was 85 degrees. You may want to bring something for the younger children to occupy them for part of the trip. I would go again anyday it was definitely worth it. Just remember rain gear and bug spray. They provided bottled water to drink the whole way. Also, use the restrooms before you get on the boat because it is a few hours long.

Old November 14th, 2004, 08:38 PM
47 days and counting

We went there in Jan, did the cave tubing, no repellant, seen mosquitos, but nobody ended up with malaria.
Have fun!