Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 11th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Beginner

Default St thomas excursions to St John's

Does anyone know if there are people selling the excursions to St John's or the yacht charter daysails at the pier in St Thomas, or somewhere closeby. Or should I book in advance??
Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2004, 07:48 PM
Beginner

Default Re: St thomas excursions to St John's

I would suggest booking in advance. Most day sail companies only take 2-6 passengers on each sail boat, so they book up well in advance. With the season now in full swing, I would not wait until I arrived to book a snorkel or day sail.

I've used, and highly recommend, a day sail company based in Red Hook, St Thomas. The company is Interlinesail, and the website is www.interlinesail.com
They have several boats, but try to get Slow Dancing- it's the one with the swim platform on the back.

You should book any of your shore excursions in advance to ensure you don't miss out on the fun things!
Old November 11th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: St thomas excursions to St John's

Regarding the daysails, the most ocean movement I can handle is on the cruise ships, I tend to get nauseous easily...are the daysails rocky, or would you recommend another type of boat for the trip to St john?? I am not a huge snorkel fan but it would be nice to atleast have the option, i'd really like to check out trunk bay beach, do the sails give you much beach time if any??
Thanks in advance for any info...
Old November 21st, 2004, 05:38 PM
Beginner

I second the above post regarding www.interlinesail.com. I just returned from the Caribbean a week ago; sailed on the Serenade of the Seas. I booked the "Slo Dancin" boat from the website; Jan (captain's wife) was very helpful. The captain, Omar, met my DH and myself at the pier at Red Hook. We boarded the boat and to our delight, found out we were the only passengers that day!!!

After a sail over to Honeymoon Beach at St. John's, my DH and I snorkeled (EXCELLENT snorkeling, btw!) and then boarded the boat to eat a delicious lunch prepared by Jan.

Later, we sailed over to Christmas Cove (off a private island now owned by Johnny Depp) where we snorkeled again. Not as great snorkeling here, but cool to take pictures of Depp's island! We boarded and found cheese, chocolates, cookies and champagne set up for us....WOW! We felt like royalty!

Jan & Omar were so friendly and helpful; they gave us tips, history, advice; they even 'taught' my DH how to sail the boat. I would recommend them in an instant!!!

As far as motion sickness - my DH wore the patch all week and was fine; I took an over-the-counter pill each day and was fine. Get the patch!!!!

If you book thru Jan & Omar, tell them Sherri & Michael sent you!!!

Email me if you have any further questions.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 09:21 PM
Beginner

Thanks Sheri,

I think I will defiantely contact them. Hopefully they aren't booked for the day. Last time I had to take the over the counter pills onboard for one rough day so maybe i'll get a patch this time. You have me convinced to do this excursion now.

Thanks again,
Shea
Old November 30th, 2004, 11:05 PM
Passenger

If you just wanna go to trunk bay, just take the ferry from red hook, don't waste your $$ on a sailboat excursion.

Inspiration - April 2005 - 5 days West
Miracle - April 2006 - 7 days West caribbean (the wedding/honeymoon cruise)
Old December 6th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Beach Dude

Once your off your ship you can hope on the water taxi for about $12.00 . Take a taxie to the beach ($3-4 bucks) and relax. If you go to Truc bay you can buy beers at the beach bar for about 2 bucks, great place to relax and less exspensive then the tours. Your pal, the beach dude

P.S. Try Mooies bar once your off the water taxi in St. John. They have a "Pour your own policy" so your drink is plenty stiff
Old December 12th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Marian

Sounds like a great trip and not crowded. We will be crusing to St. Thomas over New Years. Could you please forward the e-mail address for "Slo-Mo" snorkeling . We are avid snorkelers. Thak you Marian
Old December 14th, 2004, 09:15 PM
FyrBoss

We'll be on the Millenium's Jan 16th sailing, scheduled to port in St.Thomas on Jan 20th....anyone interested in booking a snorkling catamaran with a couple of novices?
Old December 26th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Bridget

I think the best is to take the ferry from Charlotte Amalie downtown right to cruz bay st john, it is cheap and a nice ride, then definitely go to Cinnamon bay beach, Trunk bay tends to be over crowded
Old December 29th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Passenger

Hubby and I did a daysail with Captain Jim on the Jester back in September of 03. Easily the best day of our vacation and in the top 10 of my whole life, that's how good it was. www.sailjester.com

As for seasickness, a sail is going to be much more rocky than a ferry, but my husband (who got very sick on a yacht in Hawaii) was OK the whole time. We had the whole boat to ourselves and he took us over for snorkeling at Honeymoon Beach, and provided fantastic homemade food (he used to work in the restaurant business). Great experience!
Old December 30th, 2004, 06:54 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: St thomas excursions to St John's

We ended up booking a half day sail on the Independence with Capt'n Pat... He has been very responsive and I think we are gonna have a great time. Winifred was booked already and he is a friend of Capt'n Sharon and she referred us to him. He has full and half day sails but I wanted some port time so i chose the half day. You need not have 6 people, he can recruit others for you. Can't wait!!