Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 19th, 2004, 01:11 PM
CBCruiser

Default Help wanted for Mayan Ruins

I would appreciate any help with choosing a Mayan Ruin site in Belize, Costa Maya, or Cozumel. I only want to do one on this trip, so I need to make a good choice. Also, any one I should avoid for sure? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old November 20th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to ibanezgtrist87 Send a message via MSN to ibanezgtrist87
Default Re: Help wanted for Mayan Ruins

in costa maya, the ruins are about a 2 hour drive from the port so take a ship tour. the ruins are pretty good and part of the drive is that you get to see the "real" mexico, yipes! most tours you see more than one site with many buildings to see at each site. cozumel has Tulum which is really awesome because it sits on a cliff over looking picturesque beaches and water. its more crowded because Tulum is just about the only ruin to see but it has plenty of buildings ect. there is no better site really. i'd have to say chose Costa Maya because there just isnt much else to do at that port, its a premature port with not much else to do, and its nice to see mexico completely.

STAR PRINCESS
Old November 22nd, 2004, 06:55 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

Hi CB

We have been to the Mayan ruins in Belize. The best one is Altun Ha.
There is a tour guide and his wife Nacho and Cynthia that are very good. We used their service and are very pleased. They took us to the ruins, a tour of the city, including the Bliss Insitute,shopping at the native craft store, very very nice wood carvingsand beautiful linen items. This is a place that no other tours go. There were no crowds or cheap tourist junk. He and his wife speak very good English and have an AC van. The roads in the country are in disrepair, but that is what you have to put up with.
I would highly recomend them. Do not take any of the tour guides that solicite you at the pier, many are not good and will charge you a lot. Nacho is quite versed in the mayan culture. I have read up on them and he helped me to understand more.
If you would like his e-mail, send me a message in private.
Carole
AKA Sea Trekker
ps there are other people on this board who have used his tour company.
Old November 24th, 2004, 01:31 PM
DENISE H

go to the caacchoben ruins in coast maya it will be one hour ride back and foth you will
have guide with all times he will show you the ruins tell you about the mayans and you will be able to climb one of the ruins we enjoyed it alot
Old November 25th, 2004, 06:01 AM
Yeoman

The best one Ive done is Chichen Itza. A lot of the buildings are seen in photos, etc. It has a great intact sports arena and the pyramid is awesome. When we went you could climb it, and tour inside it. It was very steep. Not sure you can pick this one up (maybe in Cozumel) and its a long drive. It will wipe out the entire day, but the place is huge! Well worth it. Be sure to bring plenty of water since not all places have it, and its hot!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal