Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 26th, 2004, 09:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Panama Canal anyone?

I am trying to find out if the Panama Canal is a good cruise for our family. We are in our mid 40's and have three teens, 13,16 & 19. We are looking to plan our cruise in a year or so. My DH and I loved the Western Caribbean, and can't wait to cruise again. This time our kids won't let us leave them home. I prefer warm climate, and I believe the kids would too. The canal cruise looks awesome, but I don't ever hear much about it. Anyone got any good input? I would love to hear from you. I am a planner and am starting now to gather info.

Sponsored Links
Old November 27th, 2004, 03:04 PM
hcat

Default Re: Panama Canal anyone?

We;re taking Brilliance RT to Panama Canal in the spring---most of those are booked already but cabins may open after final payment date in dec.
Old November 27th, 2004, 11:23 PM
Eve

Default Re: Panama Canal anyone?

I've done the Panama Canal twice -- once each way. We got kind of lucky in that the first time we went was right after the handover to Panama, so there had been a lot on TV about the history of building the canal shortly before we went. I think knowing about how it was built and a little of the history and difficulties really enhance the experience. I couldn't believe there were people on the ship who just didn't know much about it, especially when there had been so many recent opportunities to find out about it.

I'm not sure if teenagers would appreciate it, unless they are truly interested in seeing it. Still, it's just one day of the cruise. But see if you can educate them a little, pique their interest in it. It's really en engineering marvel. I'd suggest watching from the cameras at the canal locks. It's fascinating to watch the ships go through the locks.

Here's a link to the live cameras, as well as other information about the locks, the history and how they work.

http://www.pancanal.com/eng/photo/camera-java.html