Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 4th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Lonnie

Default Costa Maya info needed

I will be visiting Costa Maya early February. We would like to visit the Kohunlich and Dzibanche ruins. Are there any other options beside a ship excursion to visit these ruins? Never having been to Costa Maya, my research finds no car rentals or anything larger than a Nissan senta taxi. If anyone has been there and can help me I would appreciate any information you may have. Thanks in advance Lonnie
Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2004, 10:08 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Costa Maya info needed

I can't remember which tour we did, but it was an 8 hour ship's excursion. It was well worth it and we saw a lot. I would definitely take the ship's tour though, because we were late getting back to the ship and they held it for us. If we had been on our own they would have sailed without us...and you don't want to be stuck there. It's a pretty far drive into the jungle to get to the ruins and the guides are very knowledgable and make it very interesting.
Old December 7th, 2004, 01:08 PM
Admiral

There are private companies that take you on tours but the price is close to the same and for my mopney I would do the ships tours. At least with them you know you will not be late getting back and miss the ship and if there is a problem you have recourse through the ship. With a private firm you have nobody to complain to and they may not meet safety rules and if you are late, tough, you will miss the ship and it is up to you to meet it at the next port at your expense or go home.
Jim

Old December 10th, 2004, 12:53 AM
JenniferW

Default Re: Re: Costa Maya info needed

We went to Chaco... ruins with a private taxi. Our driver was fabulous. They had set prices for all the places you would want to go and you can negotiate for other places. Just get off the boat walk past the pool and turn right, ask anyone where the taxis are.

Not sure you could do both in one day!

I would feel fine doing an independent tour, but leave plenty of time at the end just in case. We had no problems and never book a tour with the cruise boat.

Also, I never found a way to prearrange before I left so if that makes you feel leery go with the cruise boat, if not just get off earlish and you should have no problem.

Jenn
Old December 12th, 2004, 01:25 AM
Akrida

I went to Costa Maya as one of my stops on a Celebrity cruise for my honeymoon. We did not research it a lot, and figured that would be a good day to just sit on the beach and enjoy the sun...BIG mistake! There is no beach to speak of nearby, and what there is was filthy with all sorts of waste. The ONLY thing there at the dock is a large strip mall with fifty stores selling tanzanite jewelry, and a swim-up bar (salt water pool). We were very disappointed that we had not taken the opportunity to do one of the excursions instead. From what we heard from the other passengers, there were some great things to do. Some went on a kayaking adventure and had a blast. Others went to ruins and enjoyed that. There is nothing nearby, and whatever you do, have something planned ahead of time, so that someone is waiting there for you once you get off the boat. That is one port I would have just paid the extra money to have the ship arrange the excursion, rather than trying to arrange my own.

I hope this helps you decide, and you don't have a wasted day like we had! Have a great time. Now I am off to find out about good excursions to stingray city in Grand Cayman - we missed that one last time we were there, and we aren't going to miss it again!

~Andrea