Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 6th, 2004, 06:57 AM
Passenger

Default is parasailing dangerous

Going on Majesty in March and wanted to know how dnagerous the parasailing is? We have two teen boys who really want to try it but I dont know how easy or hard it really is. Has anyone ever tried it and is it a rough ride or does it go smooth? What are the chances of a bad landing? Thanks mom
Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2004, 07:32 AM
Billie

Default Re: is parasailing dangerous

I did it in Mexico a few years ago. My take-off and landing were from the beach (I have seen some do it from a boat). It was extremely easy and smooth!! It was an absolutely wonderful experience. I could not believe how calm, quiet, peaceful, and warm it was up in the air. I don't know why I expected it to be cool but I figured the higher you were the colder it was. Maybe I just wasn't high enough. They strap you into a harness that also acts as a chair so you just sit and enjoy the ride. The only part where there would possibly be any work for your sons is in the landing. I guess from where th boat is they can't guarantee that they alone can set you back down exactly where they picked you up from. The two friends that I did it with both set down perfectly but I was a little off track. They teach you ahead of time that if you are going a bit off course (and by a bit we're only talking by feet) they blow a whistle for you to hear and then they will indicate which cord you have to pull on to get you back to the exact spot. This was extremely easy. The guys on the beach caught me in the air and placed me back down on the beach without so much as a bump. I cannot really talk about the safety as I do not have any stats of parasailing but I didn't at any point feel concerned about my safety. As far as we were all concerned it was well worth the money and I would definitely recommend it. I hope this helps!

Billie
Old December 6th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: is parasailing dangerous

Thanks for the comments! It sounds like so much fun. The boys are just old enough but would still have to be with an adult. So that would mean my husband and I would be going up with them! Well thanks again. Mom
Old December 7th, 2004, 04:01 AM
Yeoman

my wife was about 63 when she tried it off a boat and back on to it and she loved it-is it dangerous--if you are being towed by a boat at about 20 or so miles per hour and lifted to a height of 40/50 so feet and then winched down to the deck of a moving boat that has a landing area of abot 5 square feet there is a certain amount of danger- the amount of danger is in relation to the small print on the release form you are expected to sign

Old December 7th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Admiral

Yes it can be very dangerous if the people running it are not skilled. That said my wife did it in St Martin a few years back and loved it. With someone that has a legitimate service and good equipment it is wonderful and safe.
Jim

Old December 8th, 2004, 09:42 AM
Passenger

A few years ago, a girlfriend and I went to Nassau for a few days and she tried the parasailing. I guess they didn't get enough speed or something,because she s-l-o-w-l-y went down into the ocean! So, the boat went over to her, plucked her out of the water, brought her back to this wooden deck, and started over! Other than that, she loved it! We laugh about it still.
Old December 8th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Clint Leung

Parasailing is incredibly smooth. It's like you are flying but in slow motion. Watch some operators do it and see how well they land their clients. You can decide there if you want to try it.

Clint

Free Spirit Gallery
http://www.FreeSpiritGallery.ca
Exquisite Eskimo Inuit Art & Northwest Indian Art
Old December 10th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

We did the parasailing and loved it. Myself and my son went with Seatrek Parasailing in Labadee. Great experience.

Voyager of the Seas 7/05
Voyager of the Seas 8/04
Old December 10th, 2004, 07:27 PM
Familiar Face

Go with a reputable company. It is a lot of fun and not scary at all. I'm a 48 year old grandmother and I had a blast.

Kathy
Old December 11th, 2004, 07:22 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Cruisechic2005 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruisechic2005

What are the best ports to Parasail in?? I'm gong to GrandCaymon, Ocho Rios, Labadee, and Cozumel.... My mom and I (42 and 18) want to try it, it looks like so much fun!!! (Are we aloud to bring cameras?? )

Unforgetable!
Old December 12th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Dow Dow

Default Re: Re: is parasailing dangerous

We booked through the ship in Labadee and loved it. We are going again in Aruba when we are on the Brilliance in April. Have fun. In Ocho Rios I highly recommend the River Tubing excursion. Very safe and a lot of fun. Had a great time. Remember to buy several waterproof cameras from Wallmart for about $7 or 8 each. Wish I were going with you.
Old December 14th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Re: is parasailing dangerous

My young teenage son years ago went parasailing in Puerta Vallart by himself.He loved it and actually did it twice. I also enjoyed it!

Have fun!

Carol
Old December 14th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'd recommend doing it from a boat as opposed to the beach. About eight months ago, a young girl was slammed into a third floor hotel balcony in Cancun, fatally injuring her. Apparantly, one of the lines broke. Probably a very isolated incident but try to do some research on the company you're dealing with.

Xpedition - 06/2005
Oosterdam - 10/2005
Ryndam - 12/2004

Tahitian Princess - 12/2005
Oosterdam - 10/2005
Xpedition - 06/2005
Ryndam - 12/2004
Radiance of the Seas - 05/2004
Statendam - 12/2003
Vision of the Seas - 12/2003
Amazing Grace - 03/2003
Carnival Spirit - 10/2002