Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 9th, 2004, 08:48 PM
sbgm

Default San Juan Bioluminescent kayak Adventure

We will be going to San Juan with Princess cruises in January. Has anyone taken or know if the Bioluminesence Bay kayak adventure is any good or worth the money?
Sponsored Links
Old December 10th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Hondo

Default Re: San Juan Bioluminescent kayak Adventure

Hello:

Cut and pasted reply of a reply about a reply <G> Everything still holds true. Have fun.

Hondo

Hi Dutch:

Do a author search for hondo under this topic. You will find a post from me dated 11-05-03 regarding this tour. Better yet, I just cut and pasted what I posted. Everything else holds true.

Hondo

Hello:

I just got back this week and I went on this tour. I wouldn't highly recommend this tour. I believe it was $85.00 that I could of spent elsewhere.

I went on this tour because I needed some exercise. I have read a couple of reviews and they also did not recommend it very highly. Having said that.

We had 4 guides and 30 kayaks. 2 people per kayak. They were the sit on top ones. They were pretty stable. If the combined weight of the people is under 400 pounds, than you are ok. If you are above, than I believe they could manage up to 450. We didn't have anyone near there but I have a feeling my kayak was a little over 400. More like 420. <G> I believe we were in the water about an hour or two? You kayak in a small channel of water with land on both sides. Oh yes. Overhanging tree branches. I nearly had my glasses come off. The widest part of the channel is no more than 10 feet or so. Eventually the channel runs into a bay. This is where the luminiscence are really noticable. All you have to do is stir the water a little and it glows. One of the guides got out of his kayak and swam underwater. You could tell by the glow that something was under there.

The guides that we had were top notch. The safety orientation briefing was one of the best that I have been to. The guy giving it was funny and very thorough (sp?). Now, I WOULD highly recommend this tour if it is raining. When the rain drops hit the water in the bay, the water would glow. It would be like a million fireflies hitting the water at the same time.

So, confused yet? I would recommend this tour only if it is raining or for the exercise or if you really need something to do. If it is a toss up between two, than I don't know. Please don't get me wrong. This is a good tour. I just don't know if it was worth the $85.00 that was charged. I hope this helps.