Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 11th, 2004, 02:30 PM
A Lam

Default beach/snoking at Key West

Hi, i seldom see people mentions about beach, snoking, or other water sports as things to do or excursion to join in Key West. Mostly is about the walking tour, conch tour train, etc.
Does it mean we should forget about any water activity for this port ? How's the beach in Key West ?

Thanks
Ann
Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2004, 07:17 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: beach/snoking at Key West

Personally I would save the beach for another stop. The only beaches are located on the south side of the island and can get pretty stinky if the seaweed washes up. The Keys are coral islands and the sand is not the really nice fine stuff youd find elsewhere. There are places to rent jet skiis there though. Also there will be some ship excursions where you can do this. You can snorkel, but you will have to go out on a boat to get to a decent spot, and even then the water can be on the murky side (depends on a lot of factors, but I taught scuba in the Keys and thanks to wind and fertilizer run off, the water can be goregous one minute, and murky a little later). I would stick to touring the old section of Key West-taking in the history, tastey foods, tropical drinks, etc. Some of the side streets have some neat little places that arent so touristy. Ask the locals and they will steer you in the right direction. Save the snorkeling for Cozumel or Cayman!

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old December 12th, 2004, 10:04 AM
A Lam

Default Re: Re: beach/snoking at Key West

Hi Alison,
thanks a lot for your info. Now i know how to better spend my time there. :-)

Ann.
Old December 12th, 2004, 03:32 PM
Good Evans

With our half day stop at Key West we were unable to head to the beaches due to Ivan heading in and they couldn't be sure of getting a taxi back, so we never saw the sands!! We loved Key West that we saw, really quaint and little chicks and hens walking around the streets. The shops and stalls were really good prices for gifts and a varied selection. We have two children and we enjoyed the aquarium, it's only small but you can keep re-enterning on the same ticket and catching the different feeding times, The shipwreak museum was okay, best bit climbing up the wooden tower nice view of the ship in dock and of the town area, pretty funny though, going high up and with already swaying motion from ship still.. I was convinced the tower was moving!! My dad done the Hemmingway House tour which he enjoyed, yep we liked Key West, enjoy your trip too....
Old December 15th, 2004, 02:25 PM
lonepeak

I took a catamaran snorkle tour from the dock. It was pretty decent - saw some nurse sharks and so on. Didn't see much else on the Island after the return other than the shops etc. I was glad I did the snorkle trip.
Old December 27th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Jessey

Also did the catamaran snorkle tour in Key West. It was pretty good -- quite professional and some fairly decent snorkling (but not as clear as the more southern spots like Grand Cayman). To me, the town is bars and t-shirt shops and not much more
J
Old December 31st, 2004, 09:58 AM
Beginner

We live in Key West. I don't know how long you'll be here, so it's hard to say what is the best route to take. The only beach that the "locals" really swim at is Ft. Zachary Taylor State Park. The others look pretty, but the water is dirty, and I won't let my kids in it. When friends come to visit, we take them out on the Fury Catamaran for snorkling. It's nice for people who haven't snorkled before, but the water isn't as clear as some other Caribbean spots (I've snorkled in the Bahamas, Puerto Rico, and Cozumel). The Fury is a FUN trip, though. The crew is awesome, and there's typically a real party atmosphere. We've done both the Key West and the Cozumel Fury Catamarans and have never been disappointed. If you just want to walk around and see the sights, that's a nice option, too. The museums, etc. are pretty steep (usually around $10 a pop to get in) and nothing to write home about, but it's fun just to walk around and see the unique architecture, etc. If you're going to be going all around, I'd recommend taking the Conch Train, as opposed to renting one of those little electric cars or scooters. Parking is *very* difficult and expensive, and you'll probably end up just parking and walking everywhere anyway. If you don't want to walk everywhere, pay the $$ for the Conch Train and let someone else do the driving for you. It's too bad you guys don't stay in port overnight, because the absolutely most FUN and informative walking tour is the Ghost Tour. Whether you believe in the supernatural or not, it's still a great time to learn the history of Key West and check out some great architecture. So, if you're every here overnight, be sure to book a ghost tour!! If anyone has specific questions about Key West, don't hesitate to e-mail me, and I'll try to help!

Old January 13th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Sneaking in on your post to get expert advice from the Key West residents . . .I'll be there from 7am to 3 pm and would really like to go parasailing preferably earlier so my group has time to explore. My sister would like to go to a beach. How far s Fort Zachery from the docks? Is a taxi the best option to get there and do you know if it's expensive? TIA.

Tasha

Celebration--Bahamas

I belive in unicorns, dragons, good men and all mythical creatures.
Old January 24th, 2005, 09:02 PM
Nicolas Poitras

Tiffany. A quick question for you. How does one get to Fort Zachary from the dock? Thanks. NP