Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 12th, 2004, 09:18 AM
First Mate

Default Belize or Cozumel ruins

Help...Family of 5 going to Belize and Cozumel (roatan and G.Cayman too) Older teen wants to see ruins. I read that Tulum is nice but long trip.I have no interest in a long hot trip. Also read of Belize ruins. There is a river wallace/altum ha. And, a Lamanai. What is the difference? Has anyone been on these? Can I put a 16 Yr. old on this trip through the ship without parents if the rest of us went on the cave tubing? Can anyone rate cave tubing vs. the ruins tour? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Belize or Cozumel ruins

Having done both the tubing and ruins I can say we liked both very much. The tubing is enjoyable and relaxing but is basically just floating down a river that goes through a couple of caves. The River Wallace/Altun Ha tour is a boat ride up the River Wallace where you will probably see monkeys,birds, etc and the ruins are minor but nice. Xunatunich is a better ruin IMHO and there is a bud ride across the country almost to Guatamala so you get to see Belize as it really is and the ruins are great. You can still climb the main temple but I don't believe that will continue much longer as it does take a toll on the structure and there are also no safety rails of any kind and it is very scary and could be dangerous. Our tour guide said on almost all his tours he has to carry or help someone back down. Steep and narrow path with vertical wall on one side and straight drop on the other. A normal and responsible 16 yr old should be fine.
Jim

Old December 12th, 2004, 08:04 PM
First Mate

Thanks Jim,
I was leaning toward this myself. I looked up the Carnivals excursions (we are going on the Valor 1/23) and only see a Altun Ha. Also saw one for Xunantunich. What if any , is the difference? On the cruise ship excursions I did not see a River Wallace/altum Ha as I have read in the posts. We are to be in port from 9:99-6:00PM. Ship time. I believe that is 8:00-5:00 island time. Is there time to add on a River Wallace? Or is that why it is not offered? Are we there enough time to safely so a private tour? Thanks...
Old December 12th, 2004, 09:51 PM
KathieDM

When we were in Cozumel in 2003, we went to the San Gervasio ruins on an RCI excursion. They are just a few miles from the pier, so no long trip. It was very enjoyable. A woman in our group said she like San Gervasio better than Tulum, because Tulum is just a pyramid and San G. is a collection of actual dwellings and ceremonial places.

Explorer E. Carib. 1/12/02
Explorer W. Carib. 1/18/03
Summit Alaska cruise/tour 8/3/03
Adventure S. Carib. 2/8/04
Galaxy Panama Canal 2/3/05
Old December 18th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Everett Lee DeGolyer

I actually preferred the Tulum ruins. They ARE across the water from Cozumel and a ways off from Playa del Carmen (app 70 miles) but worth seeing. They're been greatly restored and Tulum's setting has a spectacular view of the water.

I wonder if that other woman was thinking of the ruins at Coba, which is 30 miles further inland from Tulum and has a tall, steep pyramid.

The only shore excursion I'd heard was a long, drawn-out bother were the excursion from Cozumel to Chichen Itza which involved ferry boats and four hour long bus rides to and from the ferry terminal on the mainland.

Either way, say "Hello!" to the iguanas for me.
Old December 18th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Passenger

Hi

In November we visited Belize and did cave tubing with a great couple named Nacho and Cynthia. You can send them an e-mail at **************

They also can do sightseeing if that is what you want.

I did a write up previously titled "Belize cave tubing" that you can read
Old December 18th, 2004, 03:00 PM
Passenger

Hi qgain

Look up my 12/10/2004 write up re cave tubing
Old December 20th, 2004, 11:15 PM
Passenger

DW and I have gone on the River Wallace/Altun Ha tour in Belize and loved it. Altun Ha is a archeological active site. The trip up river is very interesting and at the drop off point, where you get on the buses for the trip to the ruins, there is a very nice place to get a local meal. We had no problems with the local food. There is also a nice place to look at some of he local art work. have a great trip.
CruzinDave

Post Edited (12-20-04 22:18)

[img]http://www.cruisemates.com/animated/Bo
Old December 29th, 2004, 07:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have done both Lamani and cave tubbing in Belize. Cave tubbing is ok, nothing exciting. Lamani though is a real nice excursion. You get to do the boatride up the river which by itself is a blast. There are also large pyramids and a ball court at the Lamani site. Cozumel has way too many other things to do. If it were me, I would do the ruins in Belize and do something water / beach related in Coz.
Old January 8th, 2005, 11:04 PM
First Mate

Thank you all very much for taking the time to answer. We have read it all and are going to do the Altum Ha/ River Wallace tour. We may have one in our group do the tulum. Anyway, thanks again. Karyn
Old January 11th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Jamiegunter

We are going to the Altun Ruins, Belize in three weeks. You can go to the internet and search on the names of the ruins. You will find all kinds of information about them and pictures. We picked the Altun ruins(no river thing)because it was a four and half hour tour, plus looked really neat! Good luck
Old January 13th, 2005, 11:46 PM
candace23800

we have been tthinking of doing the'jungle river tubing and mayun ruins site' has anyone done this one?or is the cave tubing better
Old January 14th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Bunchy

If you go to the ruins, plan to wear very comfortable walking shoes!! If you are a regular to the gym, great! if not take along ben-gay for the after affects . You will also want to take along your camera, not all fallen down piled up rocks look the same. Leave the kids at home as I am sure they will not find the rocks as exciting and your back will need the break. Take extra ben-gay if you take the kids. : - )