Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 30th, 2004, 09:32 PM
Passenger

Default is grand cayman safe

My husband and i are wanting to venture out on are own and check out the island but we want to make sure its safe to do so.Also does anyone know if there is a place to rent scooters there? thanks
Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2004, 09:48 PM
George W

Default Re: is grand cayman safe

Hello,

Grand Cayman, without a doubt, is very safe. You will be fine, everyone on the island is very friendly and it almost feels like you are in Miami. On the Cruise ship they made a big deal about how good the shopping is there, but I found it to be extremely over priced. I would highly recommend going to Sting Ray City, it is absolutely amazing!!! Also, don't miss out on the Tortuga Rum cake. Have fun!

George
Old December 30th, 2004, 10:02 PM
GM

Yes- very safe, very expensive. Outside of the dowtown area you'ill find it's pretty trashed form the hurricane.
Old December 30th, 2004, 10:59 PM
First Mate

I ditto the other two responses.
Old December 31st, 2004, 07:02 AM
Yeoman

I felt very safe in Grand Cayman. In fact, I felt that the locals were not interested in us at all. They almost seemed to be stuck-up.

If it weren't for those darn stingrays (I have to swim with them again) and such a short stay at port, I would rent a car and drive around.
Old December 31st, 2004, 07:50 AM
Good Evans

Default Re: Re: is grand cayman safe

Grand Cayman is safe. When I worked there we never used to lock the house door or the cars....and I fell asleep many a time on the beach, watching the stars and after too many Coors!!! However, we wouldn't venture up to the top of West Bay at night . The main car rental was Coconuts, but I'm sure there are lots around now. They charge you extra to issue you a temp drivers licence, which they do at the rental shop. Just produce your own country one, you also have to be 25. I would say a days rental plus licence would be about CI$25. Remember the road system is British.
Old January 4th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to frank_holland Send a message via Yahoo to frank_holland

Like the others said it's very safe on Grand Cayman.
When you come ashore you got to walk to the left for a little while, then you'll have the opportunity to rent scooters across the street, or walk a little bit more further to rent a car. You can't miss it.

Caribbean Princess
Old January 6th, 2005, 07:49 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Cassie

Very Safe... it's actually my favorite port. I hate being hassled to buy things and this does not happen here. Plus the Locals are great! They come right up and talk to you. We actually met a man that use to live in detroit that now lives there and he told us it's like night and day. I would definantly recomend doing the stinray tour. We used Soto's and loved every minute of it!
~Cassie