Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 9th, 2005, 06:08 PM
hcat

Default Aerial tram Panama Canal

Has anyone taken the tour to the aerial tram at the Gamboa rainforest on the Panama Canal trip.(Royal) ? It is pricey & just want to know if it is worth it. Also wonder if there'd be time to explore the beautiful resort or nature park where it is located if I chicken out on actually going in the tram (a metal box)
Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2005, 09:10 PM
The Hills

Default Re: Aerial tram Panama Canal

Hi hcat:

We did the Aerial Tram Ride in Colon in March 2004. We did the "Ecological Encounter & Aerial Tram ride" through Carnival. There wasn't a lot of wildlife as the weather was pretty warm but the view at the top of the tram is worth the trip. We also stopped at the Gamboa Resort for a glass of punch and the site was beautiful. They included a sandwich lunch at the tram which was good. I think the tour description said the tram was 72 minutes but that I think that included the time up and down and the time at the top.

Check out the shopping at the pier and look for hand carved rainsticks. A great gift to bring home!

We also saw on this excursion a great butterfly aviary exhibit with hundreds of large and colourful butterflies where walk through and also some frog/reptile exhibits.

We saw a lot of wildlife in Costa Rica on the Canals so that is where I would look for tours on the Canals.

Email me if you want to see some pictures of the tram walkway view or ask me any more questions.

We are leaving in two weeks for a trip on RCCL Radiance of the Seas.

The Hills
Ottawa, Canada
Old January 18th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to tropicalcaribbean
Default Aerial tram Panama Canal

Hi!!!
I'm agree with The Hills, one of the best tours in Costa Rica is Tortuguero Canal, you will have contact with the nature and wildlife. I don't know about tours in Panama but I think the Aerial tram will be a great tour there.
I can tell you more about Tortuguero Canal if you have interest. Just email me.

Post Edited (01-18-05 15:10)
Old January 28th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Passenger

In Panama is hard to see mammals during the daylight but if you like to see birds, flora and a panoramic view of part of the Canal the aerial tram is worth it. Others option could be going to see the Embera indians because after the Canal is an attraction that you do not will find in other country or Portobelo with the history of the 4 fort more a rainforest trail and the beach. .
Old January 29th, 2005, 05:47 PM
hcat

Thank you all so much. This is one of the best responses I have received from these boards & I will follow up on your offers for more info. We are booked for the Tortuguero Canal in Costa Rica & look forward to that. Heard that Costa Rica may have had some recent flooding so I hope it will not be any impact on a trip in March--or make mosquitos be present. The tram sounded Ok to me but I was thrilled about the aviary & other exhibits at the resort where the tram is located. butterflies will also be a treat--can't wait. What type of box lunch was served--do you feel it was safe to eat? What about the fruit buffet at Toruguero canals? Again--much thanks for your responses.
Old March 13th, 2005, 10:51 AM
hcat

How long is the bus trip to the Tram? Hope it has A/C
Old March 14th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Passenger

Between 1 and 1 1/2 hours. and yes all buses have a/c.

good luck,
Old March 14th, 2005, 07:24 PM
hcat

Thanks--hope it will be a scenic trip---