Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Passenger

Default Roatan zip lining - canopy tour

Hi everybody! I'll be traveling on the Carnival Valor in early March with a friend and one of our stops is to Roatan Island, Honduras. I've read past posts and it seems that a popular activity is the zip line/canopy tour. We've decided we'd like to give this a try because it sounds like something different and unique. We've also decided to book an independent tour as they seem to be less costly and have fewer people on them. I've searched the internet and have not been able to find any companies or a way to book it in advance. Does anybody have any information on this? Thank you all in advance for your help.
Nicole
Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2005, 03:29 PM
roddee

Default Re: Roatan zip lining - canopy tour

We are booked for the Roatan zip-line canopy tour during our cruise that starts next week. We are going through the cruise line (NCL), because I understand that when NCL is in port that it is the only way to do this activity, as they buy up all of the bookings. I would check first to see if an NCL ship is in port at the same time, and if so, you may not be able to do t his. If not, then perhaps you can book with one of the independants. I can give you a report on the day when I return if you would like.

Dee
Old January 12th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Passenger

Hi Dee,
That would be great if you could let me know how your experience was. This is something I'd love to try. Have a great cruise.
Nicole
Old January 12th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Passenger

We went to Roatan last Feb on Carnival. We had went on an all day beach excursion and it was at the beach that the zip line was being offered, If I can recall it was $35.00. I did not attempt it but my husband did and loved it .
Old January 13th, 2005, 08:37 AM
roddee

No problem, Nicole. Really looking forward to it. Will let you know how things went.

Dee
Old January 14th, 2005, 06:46 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Roatan zip lining - canopy tour

nic624, I'm sailing on Valor in June and having been trying to find out about the canopy tour. I checked and there's no NCL ship in port the day we're in Roatan, but Carnival isn't offering this tour (at least not yet) and the tour operators just keep saying to book through your ship!

It's very frustrating! I am e-mailing with someone locally who is checking into this for me. Plus, she knows of a new zipline company that recently started tours. She is meeting with them and sending me the information. I'll be sure to post here. Meanwhile, be sure to tell us of your experience after your trip!
Old January 15th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Beginner

I was told to book the Tabyana Beach Tour through the ship, which takes you to a private beach and at the beach is the office to sign up for the canopy tour.

Hope this helps
Old January 16th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Passenger

Bolt, Thanks for the info. Was this on a Carnival ship? Was the price of the canopy tour included or did you have to pay extra for the canopy tour? I really don't want to sign up and waste money for a beach excursion because besides the canopy tour I wanted to bring things to the orphange and just tour the island, see the iguana farm, etc. I really didn't want to hang out at a beach! Oh well!!
Old January 16th, 2005, 10:35 AM
JenniferW

I had this same question as we are sailing on Valor also so if you find out, please post : )

Jenn
Old January 17th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Beginner

I believe you have to sign up for the beach tour and the canopy tour is an additional charge. Yes this is through a Carnival ship.

Although I have not heard of anyone actually doing this tour and the zip line. It sure would be nice to have someone on a Carnival ship confirm this information. I would hate to spend $33. on the beach tour that I really don't want to go on either to find out this info is incorrect.

So hopefully someone who has actually accomplished this on a carnival ship will respond.
Old February 9th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Roddee

I'm back, and the excursion was a blast!! The personnel there are very safety conscious, so you get full instructions, and plenty of equipment which include harness, straps, helmet and gloves. There are about 11 lines. Each line is a different length. There is someone at each perch to guide you. You lean back on the harness, place on hand on the bottom of the harness strap, and the other behind you on the line. This is your braking hand. You just hold loosely to ride, and pull down on the line to slow down and brake. At each perch the guides will signal for you to slow down if you are too fast, or ease up if you are too slow. They will grab you when you arrive at each one and help you down and hook you up to the next one. If you happen to stop too soon, they will come and get you. We had a lot of fun. Afterwards, if you are on NCL, you are taken by the same bus you arrived on, to Tabyana beach for a BBQ lunch. There is plenty to eat, with tea and lemonade to drink, or you can purchase drinks at the bar there. There is a musical group playing mostly reggae music, but they are very good. There are restrooms, beach chairs etc. You can swim and/or snorkel as well. When you are ready, a bus takes you back to the portside. They leave no later than 1 1/2 hours before last call for the ship. We took our digital camera and digital camcorder for photos. Just make sure they are securely attached to your braking arm so it doesn't bang around. You can't take photos while you are on the line, but can take them from the perches. They also have someone to take photos of you for sale. We got one, and it was very good, and in a Banana paper folder for $10.
I hope this helps. Any other questions, let me know. I have heard there is another company doing a tour for those not on NCL, but I don't have the details.
Whatever you decide, have a ball.
Dee
Old February 11th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Passenger

Still trying to find someone who has done this recently from a Carnival ship!! Are you out there??? Please tell us about it!
Old February 11th, 2005, 04:15 PM
cheryl and ricky

We were on Valor for Jan 23 sailing....this was NOT offered on the ship. Before the curise, we had emailed the beach club where the zipline was...and was told it was only available thru NCL. When asked could we come to the beach and then book it ourselves, we were told "IF" there were available spots and it was about $50 each.

Here's who I emailed to get the information..... tabyana@hondusoft.com

Here's main website with more information.... http://www.roatanisland.net/rollercoaster.htm

Good luck!
Old February 12th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Passenger

Hmmm...here's the e-mail response I just got last night from Tabyana when I asked if I booked the Tabyanan Beach Break through Carnival Valor's excursion desk (or online), could we do the canopy tour once at the beach.

Good evening. We are currently in the process of adding the canopy to
the list of shore excursions available. However, if it is not on the
list by your arrival date, yes it will be available from Tabyana.

Thank you,
Tiffany Galindo
Old February 14th, 2005, 01:36 PM
gatorclaw

Hello, this may help or just may add more confusion. I know we can't advertise other websites here but if you're a real critic (hint, hint) you may be able to get some more info about this if you check elsewhere.

Here's what I've been discussing elsewhere:
1- There is much confusion about this
2- I haven't met anyone who was on Carnival and did this excursion
3- I WILL be on March 6 Valor and at least 2 others I know from online will be doing the same thing: Tabyana Beach Tour- then going to Canopy Tour (at the Tabyana Gift Shop).
4- We've posted our emails from the zipline guys there as well and it seems likely we'll be able to do it. There is an NCL ship in port the same day, but not until after noon, so when we get there we'll be going first thing.
5- If you're still skeptical, you can book at a different place: tropicalrez.com - they offer zip line to anyone- it's at a different part of the island. Haven't heard anything (good or bad) about these guys.

I will certainly give a report of my experience in detail upon return, so be on the lookout for this Mid March.
Old February 15th, 2005, 12:39 PM
pazandak63

We were on the Valor in Jan. One of our fellow cruisers went on the zip line on the ship excursion. I think she said it was $100. (?) Our older teens took ship excur. to kayak and snorkel. They like it. Husband and I went for taxi ride and shopping. Limited shopping. Not much to do there on your own. Make sure you have a excursion. Those that went to the beach were bit by chiggers(?). Some used the Avon Skin so soft to not be bit. They said it worked better than DEET. Have fun...
Karyn
Old February 15th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

There were 6 of us who went on the canopy tour while we were in Roatan on the Carnival Valor in Jan. It was a blast!! We booked the tour on shore, not through Carnival. It was $50.00 per person since it was during the week. Cheaper on the weekends supposedly. I would definately do this tour again...very safe,lots of fun and our guides were alot of fun too!
Old February 15th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Passenger

Colleen,

Did you book the canopy tour through the Tabyana Beach Break or the new one with the rope bridges and rock wall. do you have a contact for the canopy tour so I can book ahead of time? Any pictures??

Thanks!
Marcy
Old March 15th, 2005, 11:00 AM
gatorclaw

For any skeptical Valor cruisers wanting to do the zip line in Roatan: FEAR NOT.

Just go there as soon as you can. Get the Tabyana Beach Tour. Go to the gift shop at Tabyana and buy the Canopy Tour. Nothing to it. There are no other ships there until noon when an NCL ship comes to port, so they are open for your buisness.

It was a great time. Not too scary, but loads of fun and well worth the $35 price tag. Plus they take pics of you that are about $10 a piece, but worth it for one of them.

Then you'll have the better part of 4 hours still to enjoy the beach or the great snorkeling right off shore.

Now, not sure about any other days, because if another ship is in port they may be already booked by the time you get there.